Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for SEO

Email problem
    Thanks

Tips for SEO

I red this article from other website.Thinking that it may help someone like me who just begin to do some SEO related work I share it here.

1. Monitor where you stand
    You won't know if your SEO efforts are working unless you monitor your search standings. MarketingVox suggests that you keep an eye on your page rank with tools like Alexa and the Google toolbar.

It's also important to check your referrer log regularly to track where your visitors are coming from and the search terms they're using to find your site, according to PC World.

2. Keywords, keywords, keywords!
    You should be conscious of placing appropriate keywords throughout every aspect of your site: your titles, content, URLs, and image names. Think about your keywords as search terms -- how would someone looking for information on this topic search for it?

The title tag and page header are the two most important spots to put keywords, PC World notes.

Beware: Putting ridiculous amounts of keywords on your site will get you labeled as a spammer, and search engine spiders are programmed to ignore sites guilty of "keyword-stuffing." Be strategic in your keyword use.

3. Link back to yourself
    There is probably no more basic strategy for SEO than the integration of internal links into your site -- it is an easy way to boost traffic to individual pages, SEO Consult says.

You should make it standard to link back to your archives frequently when creating new content. MarketingVox advises that you also make the anchor text search-engine-friendly: "The more relevant words point to a page, the more likely that page is to appear in search results when users run a query with those terms."

As with all other SEO approaches, be sure your links are appropriate, and be careful not to cross the line into excessive linking -- you don't want your visitors to get annoyed.

4. Create a sitemap
    Adding a site map -- a page listing and linking to all the other major pages on your site -- makes it easier for spiders to search your site.

"The fewer clicks necessary to get to a page on your website, the better," advises MarketingVox.

5. Search-friendly URLs
    Make your URLs more search-engine-friendly by naming them with clear keywords.

SEO Consult explains: "For instance, it's easy to understand what puppyfun.co.uk/puppyhealth/vitamins would contain. It's less easy to understand if the in-house classification system of the business is used, for example puppyfun.co.uk/11789/s201.htm. A dynamic URL is similarly off-putting, even if it contains recognisable words: puppyfun.co.uk/search/?s="health".

6. Avoid Flash
    Flash might look pretty, but it does nothing for your SEO. According to the Search Engine Journal, "Frames, Flash and AJAX all share a common problem -- you can't link to a single page [...]. Don't use Frames at all and use Flash and AJAX sparingly for best SEO results."

"If you absolutely must have your main page as a splash page that is all Flash or one big image, place text and navigation links below the fold," the post continues.

7. Image descriptions
    Spiders can only search text, not text in your images -- which is why you need to make the words associated with your images as descriptive as possible.

Start with your image names: adding an "ALT" tag allows you to include a keyword-rich description for every image on your site. Perfect Optimization explains an easy way to do this.

The visible text around your images is valuable for SEO: MarketPosition suggests adding captions to all your pictures and being descriptive with the text in immediate physical proximity to your images.

8. Content
    Your content needs to be fresh -- updating regularly and often is crucial for increasing traffic.

"The best sites for users, and consequently for search engines, are full of oft-updated, useful information about a given service, product, topic or discipline," MarketingVox explains.

One way to ensure that your site gets new content on a frequent basis is to integrate a blog. "Get the owner or CEO blogging. It's priceless!" the Search Engine Journal suggests. An executive blog is an excellent way to reach out to your clients, create more opportunities for internal and external linking, while giving your site a more personal voice.

9. Social media distribution
    A CEO blog is just one element of social media distribution, an important SEO strategy according to SEO Consult. You should be distributing links to fresh content on your site across appropriate social networking platforms.

Whether displayed on your company's account, or recommended, re-tweeted, and re-distributed by someone else, this strategy exponentially muliplies the number of places where visitors will view your links.

10. Link to others
    An easy way to direct more traffic to your site is by developing relationships with other sites.

PC World suggests that you personally ask the webmasters of well-respected sites if they'll include a link to your site on theirs. Be sure to return the favor -- then everyone wins!

Make certain that your partner has a good web-reputation, of course. MarketingVox warns against getting tied to a "link farm" whose bad SEO habits could bring you down.
    Last edited by Dave A; 05-Jan-11 at 11:10 AM. Reason: collation issues

2. Thank given for this post:

derekjay (29-Nov-10), garthu (12-Jan-11), robinsonwang (22-Nov-10)

Thanks
    PC World suggests that you personally ask the webmasters of well-respected sites if they'll include a link to your site on theirs. Be sure to return the favor -- then everyone wins!
    mmmmm if i had read that post 4 years ago i would have considered it outdated. Have you tried asking webmasters of well respected sites for a link and as for giving them a link back that is a bigtime no no. It's known as reciprocal linking and was stamped out a long time ago by Google, at best they would ignore it though if you had a lot of reciprocal links you would be penalised in Google's index. There is an art to link building but asking webmasters it aint. Guest blog posting,creating good quality content for syndication, article marketing, blog commenting as well as many other avenues will provide a really high ROI for most industries if you do it well.

4. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (05-Jan-11), derekjay (06-Jan-11)

Thanks
    These tips are really great and helpful but i am looking for some techniques to optimize keywords within 24 hours. I know that the keywords will be of low search volumes but what else i can do to optimize those keywords within 24 hours and bring them in google search results

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One word -

Adwords.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Duncan View Post
    These tips are really great and helpful but i am looking for some techniques to optimize keywords within 24 hours. I know that the keywords will be of low search volumes but what else i can do to optimize those keywords within 24 hours and bring them in google search results
    The Title and Link are two of the most important aspects of SEO. Working your keywords into them are important. For instance a webiste about cooking, doing an article about cooking fish. The following link www.mycookingtips.co.za/cooking-fish will rate higher for the keywords "cooking fish" than www.mycookingtips.co.za/5-ways-to-cook-fish. The same goes for the title. It should contain as little as possible non keywords. This is just what I have picked up from my own experience, not that I am an expert.

Once you have a few articles ranking high on google, it gets easier to have your articles rank quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsky View Post

3. Link back to yourself
    There is probably no more basic strategy for SEO than the integration of internal links into your site -- it is an easy way to boost traffic to individual pages, SEO Consult says.

You should make it standard to link back to your archives frequently when creating new content. MarketingVox advises that you also make the anchor text search-engine-friendly: "The more relevant words point to a page, the more likely that page is to appear in search results when users run a query with those terms."

As with all other SEO approaches, be sure your links are appropriate, and be careful not to cross the line into excessive linking -- you don't want your visitors to get annoyed.
    As quoted above, linking back to your articles is also a great SEO stategy for two reasons - It increases your SE ranking and it stands out in search engines. Eg. I created 4 posts on Survey Basket linking to each other. When you type in the keywords "surveybasket scam" , all 4 articles appear on google in 1st or 2nd place. It is much more visible to the searcher and the chances of them clicking on it is greater.

Hope my 2cents helps.

BJ

Thanks

SEO

The Title and Link are two of the most important aspects of SEO. Working your keywords into them are important

According to my knowledge Google does not use meta titles at all any more for ranking as well as description and keywords

What is your thoughts on the above ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by byron_spy View Post
    The Title and Link are two of the most important aspects of SEO. Working your keywords into them are important

According to my knowledge Google does not use meta titles at all any more for ranking as well as description and keywords

Meta titles are still a consideration, but they're not going to win the war on their own, that's for sure.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by byron_spy View Post

Hi Byron, I am unsure about the effect of the meta title. It may or may not have an effect, but it won't be huge. I have just picked up from my blog posts that when I use unnecessary words in my post title and permalink it ranks lower on google. It may be true or not, but this is just what i noticed. I have been using this strategy for my blog posts and most of my posts normally rates in googles top 10 even thow my blog is only a few months old.

I have also picked up using post tags with the correct keywords, when i have to use a bit more words in my title. The tags will rate higher than the post itself.

For example: Scam or No Scam? Geostring.com will rate higher on the "geostring.com scam" keywords than for instance Scam or No Scam? Geostring and Clixsense.com, and using a tag "geostring scam" might even rate higher.

I can't see the description not having an effect, as this is telling the search engine what your page is all about. At the end of the day the SE wants to give the searcher what he wants, which is content. The Title ( Not Meta Title ) , The Link and The Content must be on the top of the list actual algorithm which google uses and then the social bookmarking back links. Because if people are bookmarking your content, that meens they like it and google will like it aswell.

Anybody else with ideas and knowledge on optimizing the content & html for SE optimization?

Email problem
    Thanks
    I have a question. I read on Alexa today that on the 21st of October 2010 Google changed the way it searches for content. Some website owners lots about 70% of their daily traffic. If it does turn out to be true, how do we approach SEO as it would not work as it always does. SEO is costly if you get a professional SEO firm and now all the hard work has gone in most respects to a lot of website owners.

http://blog.alexa.com/2010/10/has-tr...ped-youre.html

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not even a blip in the regular Google organic search traffic pattern for TFSA over that period.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	google-traffic.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	1825

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast