Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playing silly pluggers

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkly View Post
    This is getting a bit off-topic, but EVERYTHING in Durban rusts. If you leave a Checkers plastic packet out in your garden overnight, it will rust!
    the cheapies dont rust...the plug is plastic...and the screws are plated.

and in 2 days i have had to replace 2 crabtree products due to malfunction and a brand new switch which i had to use because the rest of the building has crabtree products...1 of the 3 switches on a 3 lever switch has to be replaced because it is faulty...and it is brand new

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maccie View Post
    Bit off topic, but regarding edison power.

The company I work for just lost a tender on a major development in my home town to edison, it would have meant that I would have been able to spend the weeknights with my wife and kids for 3 to 4 years, instead of just on weekends.

The facts:
    1.The major contractor nominated us as preffered.
    2.we were R2million cheaper than anyone else.
    3.Our BEE etc is perfect.
    4.The local government ( free state ) requested a local contractor, we are free state based. Edison is not

Edison has got the contract, when I spoke to a few consulting engineers in JHB and Pretoria, they all gave the same opinion that it was a tainted deal.

Pisses me off to no small extent.

As per normal South african standards, Tenders are anything but fair and on a point system.

I am now seriously looking to emmigrate.
    I just feel sorry for the small to medium guys out there without political connections.
    as i mentioned no comment when it comes to edison power...do some research on vivian reddy and edison power and you think selebie...shaik...kebble...alglioti have connection...they are just puppets in comparison...just becareful what you write on a public forum about them.

when you have companies as big as siemens...who if they see edison power on the tender collection document...they even dont both taking one then you know not to waste your time.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    OK. So now I have a faulty dimmer switch - light is on full power, no matter what the dial setting.

SO, what brand do I replace it with ? I want a dial type ( quieter when adjusting the setting - you'll be surprised just how loud the push button type clicks when you've got a 2 year old sleeping in the room ) and it needs 2 other buttons ( for bathroom and fan ).

Any suggestions please ?

dave it is simple you get a touch button...not a click button...with an R&D dimme.

i fitted one of these lights in the pic for those late night nappy changes...my shift was from 12 mid night till the morning...i just left this light on and it just gave enough light to see what you are doing without waking everyone up...it will also be handy when she gets older because then i can plug it into the passage plug...in case she wakes up she can see where she is going without waking up from bright lights and doesnt need to reach for a light switch...you could even fit one in the kitchen and passage to help you get around the house without having to switch on big lights...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plug in light.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	1445  

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Crabtree aren't the most expensive by a long shot. LeGrand, Gewiss, Gira areall higher priced.
    I've always found Crabtree to be solid, I use them a lot on commercial installations and I can't remember the last time we had to return one under warranty. I've never seen a socket burned due to high current appliances. Often a problem is caused by overtightened or poor connections in the plug which causes the plug to melt. This might also damage the socket in extreme cases.
    another issue i have found with the crabtree switches is the screw which tightens onto the wire should have a plate over it...why because i have found when you tighten the screw sometimes the wire goes to the side of the screw...so no matter how much try tighten thats as tight as it will be...you have to remove the screw and wrap the wire as i do with all terminals which dont have plates between the wire and screw...so that the screw puts pressure onto the wire...and keeps the original wire in tact so pieces dont break off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrapped wire.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	1446  

5. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (08-Dec-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    i fitted one of these lights in the pic for those late night nappy changes...
    - and I see she's already re-charging her own cellphone.

Suspended
    Thanks
    not yet...the one cable is for the humidifier and the other is for her cd player for her sleep time music.

she does have a cell phone...but a toy for now.

she will get a cellphone as soon as she is old enough to use one for numerous reasons...safety being one...the phone will have our numbers as 1 and 2 on speed dial just in case somehting happens...she get lost...gets into an uncomfortable situation no matter how trivial she will be able to contact me or her mother...kidnapped etc...yip i know you think ridiculous...kidnapped...human trafficking is a reality in this country and all over the world...so if there is a 1 in a million chance that the phone might assist one day she will have one...in fact i will make sure she has everything that i can make possible for her...maybe even a trip to disney land. while she is still young...and can enjoy it.

Thanks
    I understand your concerns, murdock. I've got 3 daughters, all grown-up now, but I can remember their childhood and how vulnerable I thought they were. I agree with you that, these days, a cellphone is a must. And it's no good if it's not charged up and switched on.

Thanks
    I think a cellphone is a double edged sword. Whilst it does provide an element of safety by virtue of communications it also provides a target for criminals who steal them. Also there's the mixit factor where schoolkids are baited by predators posing as friends etc. I would think twice before putting a cellphone in the hands of a child who is not savvy to the ways of the world.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My daughters will only get open cell phones when they turn 13. Some of their classmates already have phones and the little 11 year old $h.ts already exchange upskirt shots. Having a small 12Mega pixel camera at hand just creates too many problems. My girls do have special kid phones that can only dial about 5 numbers (no sms, camera, internet, nothing)

Suspended
    Thanks
    there are just so many things to worry about with daughters...do you let them run wild so they can become street wise or do you lock them up until they are 18 and then let them out into this big bad world...

i was one of those boys that the mother warned them about...and the protected ones were the easiest targets...a couple drinks and they were so naive they didnt know what hit them...i sometime wonder if thats why i have 2...an 18 year old and a 2 year old...to punish me for my bad ways.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast