Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8.ta

Thanks
    Blog Entries

8.ta

Our world is changing again.

The rumour is no longer a rumour it is true 8.ta is here and it has the biggest bad-boy in town to back it up. Yes as the logo shows it is powered by Telkom.
    Have a look.

Source
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is possibly the worst service anyone can provide. Unlimited please call me's! It is official there is a hell and I am in it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HELL.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	1405  
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are the limits on the please call me's on any of the other networks?

Suspended
    Thanks
    mtn is 5 a day

Suspended
    Thanks
    another thing that is really irritating...is people who call...let it ring twice then switch off...their number comes up so you return the call...because it could be a potential customer...and it eeeeerrrrr sorry wrong number...this is when per second billing pays.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Internet cost is still very high and I can no longer see the justification. Cell C, MTN, Vodacom and Virgin mobile “if they still exist” have to look at 8.ta and wonder if there isn’t a real conflict of interest here.

After all Telkom is the only “Real” service provider for communications thus they can make 8.ta dirt cheap if they want to but no... Data cost is at R250 for 1GB of data thus the public as still paying too much.

Well are we paying too much?

By Nnamdi Ojiego

An Information Technology expert, Mr Tom Makau has given reasons why the cost of broadband and other ICT infrastructure are still high in Africa even with the arrival of undersea cables.

He said though, Africa has witnessed an unprecedented growth in internet and VPN connectivity in the last 5 years through the launch of several satellites serving the continent and the landing of a number of submarine cables on African shores, that a lot still needed to be done to make broadband in the continent more affordable, because the rapid uptake of mobile internet has increased penetration and awareness of the merits of being online.

According to him, broadband is still expensive in Africa because the continent does not share the same Internet history with the rest of the world coupled with the high costs of laying cables in Africa, stressing that the prices would remain relatively high compared to other regions due to the high CAPEX and OPEX of infrastructure in Africa even with the arrival of fiber capacity.

Mr Makau who was speaking on the topic “VSAT is Dead?”, at the Information Access and Collaboration Conference, 2010 held recently in Lagos by IwayAfrica Nigeria Limited, revealed that some Internet Service Providers, ISPs have tried to emulate US and EU pricing without considering these historical facts, making the ISPs start offering poor services as they struggled to stay afloat in the business.
    Source and full story here

I don’t know, in my opinion operators do make a lot of money on Data. R1 per 1mb or R2 per 1mb if it is out of bundle. And one must consider that millions of people are using out of bundle internet simply because the bundle cost more then what some people earn a month.

So it is true that ISPs are money pumps and they are making a killing but they love to play the “underdevelopment” card as seen here. I think the situation calls for transparency. How much do Telkom, MTN, Vodacom Cell C and Virgin mobile pay for 1GB of data? How much does the infrastructure cost to maintain? And what is the net profit?

I don’t think they will ever divulge that type of info but, my thinking is this: if there was no money in it then why provide the service in the first place?
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Yeah it is extremely annoying. As a rule i find it quite offensive and disrespectful to send me a please call me. Generally i will not phone them back. Rather send an sms or go buy airtime. Only exception will be close friends and family i know is financially challenged

Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    another thing that is really irritating...is people who call...let it ring twice then switch off...their number comes up so you return the call...because it could be a potential customer...and it eeeeerrrrr sorry wrong number...this is when per second billing pays.

Thanks
    I never return a call to a number, all my clients, friends and family names will show.
    If someone I know wants me to call them back they must send me a SMS saying 'Paul wants you to call him back on 083 555 5555' otherwise they get sent to the bin.

"Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    They're opening up the spam gates.

Thanks
    Cartels.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.