Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: change in cc membership

  1. #1
    Gold Member Singhms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pretoria (National)
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 52 Times in 48 Posts

    change in cc membership

    Hi All,

    I have a quick Q.

    If say i had 5% interest in a cc and the other partner had 95%.

    Can he add other members to the cc and give them shares by himself or will both of us have to authorise it ?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Site Caretaker Dave A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    20,979
    Thanks
    3,055
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 2,067 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    With a 5% member interest, you're pretty much along for the ride.
    The trouble with opportunity is it normally comes dressed up as work.

  3. #3
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Jhb
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
    Firstly, there are no shares ... he can't just give them shares ... so if he was to give someone an inteterest in the corporation, he would have to give it to them out of his own members interest ... your 5% belongs only to you and in that ratio.

    He will need you permission if he was to reduce your percentage.

    You can see this principle from Section 33 of the CC Act:

    1) A person becoming a member of a registered corporation shall acquire his member's interest required for membership -

    a) from one or more of the existing members or his or their deceased or insolvent estates; or

    b) pursuant to a contribution made by such person to the corporation, in which case the percentage of his member's interest is determined by agreement between him and the existing members, and the percentages of the interests of the existing members in the corporation shall be reduced in accordance with the provisions of section 38(b).
    Secondly, if you have an Association Agreement specifying he has the authority to sell a part of his percentage to anyone ... then you have no choice, but if you do not have an association agreement, he needs your permission as can be seen by reference to Section 37 of the Act below:

    Every disposition by a member of a corporation of his interest, or a portion thereof, in the corporation, other than a disposition provided for in section 34, section 35 or section 36, whether to the corporation, any other member or any other person qualifying for membership in terms of section 29, shall be done-

    a) in accordance with the association agreement (if any); or

    b) with the consent of every other member of the corporation
    If you need any Accounting, Tax or even Financial Management advice, PM me and I'll try help and keep your information confidential.

    Visit my Android ZA website - a website dedicated to Google Android in South Africa - www.androidza.co.za

  4. Thank given for this post:

    BusFact (19-Oct-10), Dave A (19-Oct-10), wynn (20-Oct-10)

  5. #4
    Gold Member Singhms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pretoria (National)
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 52 Times in 48 Posts
    Thanks for that eitai2001, it is exactly what i was looking for.

    with regards to the 5% i am using the worst case senario for now.

    Thanks guys

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Tax implications of changes in membership of a CC
    By Avdl in forum Tax Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Oct-10, 06:52 AM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •