Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Marketing

Email problem
    Thanks

Mobile Marketing

Is Mobile Marketing an effective advertising/ loyalty building tool or just spam??

How do you view this?
    Would you register for message's, promotion etc from your favourites brands?
    Why or What will entice or ensure your registration?

Let's discuss ........

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you're going to send an sms to my phone, it better be something really useful. Like a reminder for my appointment tomorrow.

For me personally, I find sms spam way more irritating than what comes in by email.

Thanks
    I have to agree with Dave. Companies that sms me, is on my ban list, I would not do business with them. SMS marketing is probably the most irritating marketing that you can get. To be perfectly honest, I do not even read them because I am immediately peeved when I receive them.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    SMS spam/marketing/advertising...call it what you will... is absolutely infuriating. It should be completely outlawed and I would make a point of bad mouthing and never doing business with any company that uses it. About 2 years ago I went to great lengths and expense to track down the location of a marketing company who was sending me in excess of one per day and wouldn't take me off their list. On many occasions I was receiving SMS's between midnight and 5 am. What I did when I found them could only be described as business sabotage. I'm not sure if they just relocated premises or actually closed down but they're no longer there and the messages stopped abruptly.
    Last edited by AndyD; 05-Oct-10 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks
    I hate SMS marketing. Like Dave said, reminding me on an appointment is one thing, but telling me about promotions...at 2 in the morning

Email problem
    Thanks
    SMS marketing or Spam whichever way you look at it, mobile handsets is by far the most effective marketing tool out there today. Everyone has it and keeps it on them all the time.Weather we like it or not, advertisers cannot afford to miss this opportunity.

S.A has not yet been touched by SMS marketing as yet and compared to the European trends we in for a lot more.

That said there has been efforts to protect the customers with laws and regulations in place. You will become more and more familiar with the word 'opt in', every brand over the next couple years will ask you to 'opt in' to ensure they capitalise on this market.

In Europe and the America's 75% mobile subscribers are registered to receive some sort of mobile advertising. Do you think if the value offered by your favourite brands is relative will we see this trend happen in S.A?
    How do we ensure we do not get bombarded with spam and rather work with these brands to only recieve relevant info?

Some of the value the Westerners are receiving from mobile advertising is (in return for receiving mobile advertising):

- Free airtime
    - Free Starbucks coffee every morning
    - Your morning news paper free
    - Up size your meal free
    etc etc etc etc

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minipreneur View Post
    Weather we like it or not, advertisers cannot afford to miss this opportunity.
    Judging by the feeling in this thread, advertisers better start listening to their clients or they could be ex-clients.

Vodacom spams me about getting a free entry into their Yebo Millionaires draw every now and then - and I didn't opt in. I'd seriously consider changing my cellphone service provider if there was a better option out there.
    Last edited by Dave A; 10-Oct-10 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks
    I agree cell phone advertising drives me crazy. surely there should be the same control as with double optin autoresponders. I have to agree to receive are not to receive these messages. It should not be allowed that you will automatically receive them

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have a Vodacom Contract number and also a Pay as you go number. The Contract number gets practically no spam and the Pay as you go gets spammed all the time (mostly from Vodacom itself)

Thanks
    I believe that the advertising industry is undergoing a serious transformation atm and I believe that there is a wakeup call waiting for several agencies and companies that are not willing to move away from their aggressive, invasive and ambush marketing tactics.

A cellphone is a private environment for most, I am currently using 3 phone cards, my one phone only my family and friends have, the other is for business and my 3rd one is my 3G internet card which I use only for the internet and when I have to complete any form of administration at shops or suspect competitions. I haven't done FICA yet on my private phone and I am planning to do it at the last minute as I know for a fact that I will get spammed on it once I did so.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast