Good day Forum Members.

Some labour law advice would really be appreciated!

In April we had a contractor start working on site at a client of ours.
Towards the end of April the contractor did not pitch for work. At the time we had no means of getting hold of the contractor due to cellphone being unrepairable, turns out the contractor was ill, had tonsil’s taken out, however no notification was given. We had a meeting with the contractor, with client present. We made it clear that the contractor couldn’t do that again, management has to be notified.
All goes well until May; again the contractor did not pitch up for work. Turns out the contractor had traveling issues but returned to work on the third day.
Then July, the contractor did not pitch for work!
The contractor worked over time and permission was given for a leave day (giving the contractor a long weekend), over and above that the contractor still took one and half days off without permission or notification. The assumption was that the overtime covered the extra time taken off…
When it came to the timesheet, overtime was present, confirming the actuals with our client, they did not give permission or approve the overtime, we have also recently discovered that during the time the contractor was working overtime, the contractor was caught on camera drinking alcohol.
Then August, again the contractor did not pitch up for work, no notification. Out of the blue we had received an email the contractor “I can no longer work on site due to personal issues” and “please pay me for the time I have worked” hmmmmm
We had requested that the contractor please return to site to complete outstanding work/issues as the contract was due to end in six days time, as per the agreement and signed contract by the contractor.
The contractor unfortunately did not return to site, nor email us back or call us. Only two days after the end of the contract the contractor emailed us requesting payment.

What are my rights as an employer, the client will not approve the timesheet and I feel they have every right to. Unfortunately the relationship we had with our client has been damaged due to the contractor’s actions.

Never once could we get hold of the contractor, even still today via phone because the contractor has never got a new phone.

Do we ignore, do we email back (what do we say)…. We can’t afford to be silly or be angered in email communications.

Any help in this matter would REALLY be appreciated!