Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Debt - How long to collect?

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The prescription period is calculated from the day the debt became due. Being a student loan, it probably only became due at the end of the study period. Some student loans may even allow for a 1 or 2 year period after the studies are completed in which to pay. You will need to check the student loan as to when it became due.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Windsor (17-Aug-10)

Thanks
    I have a similar query, I allegedly incurred a medical bill 10 years ago. I found out on Friday that I had been blacklisted on the 12 August 2010 for this debt. They guy did phone me a few years ago probably about 3 or 4 years ago demanding this money. I asked for an email breakdown of the alleged debt but never recieved anything. Now I'm trying to find the guy, have is office number but they have an answering maching. Doesn't answer the phone and doesn't return calls. How do I go about sorting this out?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dispute the listing with the credit bureau that has you listed.

Thanks

Prescription

Prescription expunges a debt after 3 years - there are exceptions, such as Municipal Rates and SARS Tax due.

However, for it to apply, you must claim it. So, when you get a 6.5-year-old demand, reply, pointing out the debt has prescribed and is no longer owing.

But - if you send ONE CENT towards it, it re-opens.

If you have been blacklisted, contact the company and advise them that the debt was prescribed, you are NOT liable, and they must remove the blacklisting.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (29-Nov-10)

Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys, I lodged a complaint with the credit bureau this morning.

I'm just so frustrated because it was unnecessary. Had I known we could have sorted it out. The grand total for the listing is round R500!!

They should be forced to pay punitive charges for the inconvenience of them flaunting the law.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi
    Rented tv from Teljoy in 2003,in 2004 collected because I could not afford anymore. In 2006 I received notice from lawyers acting on behalf of SABC that I owed them-I wrote to them and explained that I had rented therefore Teljoy was liable for tv licence.I assumed the matter dealt with only to get notice in 2008 that legal action would be taken against me.Nothing further heard until 2009,I went through the whole procedure again.Suddenly new set of attorneys sent me letters stating legal action,this was April of this year.I tried calling their offices but was kept on hold for over 10 minutes and was calling from prepaid cell therefore chose to write/email them again.Considered matter closed again but lo and behold received another sms from the first attorneys yesterday.What are my rights?Has this debt prescribed? m I liable to pay for something that I feel is not my responsibility?The horrible thing is I want to buy a tv now and do the right thing by getting a licence HELP PLEASE

Thanks
    As far as I know debts don't prescribe because you don't pay them, they only prescribe after a certain length of time if they don't pursue payment. Sounds like the sporadic attempts by various lawyers to claim payment would have stopped the debt prescribing. Maybe wait for someone more legal minded to confirm.

Was it in the original Teljoy contract that Teljoy were responsible for the TV license? Do you still have the original contract? If you do then surely just faxing this to any party inquiring about the license fees outstanding would close the matter.

10. Thanks given for this post:

IanF (20-Aug-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mel, I'm not sure how far a "Teljoy is liable" defence might go, but here's two threads on the subject of TV licence fee collection that might help you - TV licence and TV licence scam.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12