Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new water meter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Normally if you switch on all the taps full bore, the pressure drops enough to be able to replace a washer. You'll get wet, but it does become physically possible to wrestle the tap top back on.

You had me wondering about the "no tap/stop valve" story. Would have thought that's like supplying an electricity meter without an isolator to cut the supply for non-payment.

Suspended
    Thanks
    dave at 1.30 am after a long night of cleaning up vomit and having to change the little one and then get her settled again and only having an hours sleep... the last thing i felt like doing is running around the house turning on my taps to change a washer...thats why the ball valve at each tap is a good option...just isolate and sort out in the morning.

i got no problem changing washers...a spare wheel on the car...i have all the tools and eqipment to do that type of thing...i even have an impact driver to take off my vans wheels if i get a flat...the problem i had was that they had removed my tap/stop cock what ever you call it next to the water meter so there was no way of switching off/isolating the water...without notifying me...my argument was at what stage did they send out a notice/email/letter telling us that they intended removing the tap when the new system was installed.

then telling me that i have to apply to them to have the water switched off at a fee so i can get a plumber to replace the tap that they removed which has been there since year dot...or they will put the tap back for a fee...that just got my blood boiling.

the other problem is where i live the pressure is high because the tank is on the top of the hill and i live at the bottom of the hill...thats why the tap washers keep breaking...so i think even if i had to switch on all the taps it wouldnt be sufficient to drop the pressure...thats also why the basins fill up faster than they drain...and thats another thing i will be installing is a pressure reducing valve on the supply line...why do i always have to learn everything the hard way.

when they disconnect your water supply for non payment they turn off the water on that black plastic unit on the left hand side of the meter...i made a point of watching what tools they used and where they isolated the water this morning then went and made a set of tools to do they same thing...you take a bolt which uses a 17 spanner weld a t bar on to the bolt then push the head into the yellow plastic cap then remove the cap...then once the cap is removed you take a 10 allen key fitted onto a socket power bar close off the water by screwing it down...(beware not to loosen it too far other wise the allen will come out and therewill be water everywhere...dont go past the lip) take off the pipe and insert a round plate with a small hole in it...this allows a small quantity of water to flow just enough to fill the geyser so that it doesnt burn out...i take it they have been nailed for that issue hence the plate with the hole...i now have the tools to switch off the water that route in case of an emergency or if i need to remove the plate if they switch off my water at a time which doesnt suit me...having a small child in the house requires all these type of precautions...i dont like getting caught off gaurd like this morning.

another joke when i was put through to management this morning to get some answers they could not answer my question only tell me they would look into the matter and get back to me...i am still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would like to appologise to the poor lady who was so helpfull this morning and put up with my foul language and bad temper...and still smiled at the end and said she understands my frustration...and just warned me not to swear at the manager otherwise he would just put the phone down...respect to you my dear for having to put up with telphone calls like that all day long...as they say dont shoot the messenger.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    dave at 1.30 am after a long night of cleaning up vomit and having to change the little one and then get her settled again and only having an hours sleep... the last thing i felt like doing...
    I'm not too smooth with that sort of thing at that time of the night/morning myself even at the best of times. With that sort of added aggravation...

Seriously, you have my sympathy and empathy. But shoot, it's the kind of story that's gonna be good for a giggle around the braai one day.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i agree i have already gotten over it...taken corrective action made the tools required to prevent it from happening again...and moved on until i get the account

Suspended
    Thanks
    they switch my water off again...i stripped the water meter and looked for the washer they fit to restrick the water...anyone wher ethey fit this washer...a picture would be even better.

anyone have any ideas on how to slow the meter down...without reducing the useage or removing the meter completely and putting a bridge too visible...send me a pm...thanks

Thanks
    There is a water control device which fits under your meter and restricts the flow, but you have to remove the meter to get at it and switch the water back on again.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Murdock,

You seem to be a magnet that attracts all sorts of sh... ( trouble)

I mean what else can go wrong.......can go wrong........can go wrong.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Suspended
    Thanks
    its because i look for it...today i went to the municipality out of principle...to get my rates reduced and to sort out a payment plan because i havent paid water or lights or rates for a couple of months...not because i cant afford it because i hate getting scr*wed...just out of principle...unless someone can tell me why my rates increased from R300 to R900 i will be trying everything to get it back down even if its only R400...this rain is like a blessing because it will also assist...because it is causing damage to the property...

it turned out to be a rather productive afternoon...got to pay back the arrears almost interest free

got advice on how to reduce my rates and the way i see it from what i learnt this afternoon...best i dont fix any of the structual damage...cracks in the floor etc...until i get my rates reduced...if all goes according to plan i could get as much as R400 off my monthly bill

i

Thanks
    I think that paying rates and taxes would leave less bitter taste if we knew that the money was going where it is supposed to go.

10. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (16-Oct-10), wynn (18-Oct-10)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12