Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Phone Versus Media player Versus Digital Camera Versus GPS.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Mobile Phone Versus Media player Versus Digital Camera Versus GPS.

Right you got yourself a R10000 mobile phone. It is the latest technology; it can do just about anything including your office work. Yes it can view documents send e-mails and connects at lightning speed to the internet.

Yes it has a 10 mega pixel build in camera and it has GPS capability! And to top it all off you can load or buy music for it, all is good with the world!

But is it...?

See an all in one phone sounds good and for most travellers it is a dream come true. Still when you walk into a meeting. Place your mobile on the table it becomes your office! On the road it is your communication device, GPS and depending on the model it also provide for your entertainment.

So what am I on about?

The truth is, an all in one phone is not a blessing. When it comes to battery life it is just drained because the GPS needs a lot of power, the internet connection needs a lot of power and your phone spend more time on a charger then in your pocket. So its function “keeping your connected” was lost.

A dedicated GPS device allows it to be bigger and its functionality dedicated thus the interface can be intuitive and simple. A dedicated Media player allows you to enjoy your music for longer and again its functionality is simple but, also remember that sound is generated by a small amplifier and that eats your battery.

The camera however is sometimes a must have on a mobile. Because it can provide evidence of an event and it can share an event with the world in moments. But again a good quality camera can capture much more detail then on your mobile phone, so you lose detail and battery life, especially if it has a build in flash...

I started this post because a lot of people ask me, why I have dedicated devices. The reason is simple: My phone is a communications device. Yes! It must be internet capable e-mail enabled also it must be able read documents. And yes it must have a reasonable camera, because in the end pictures is also a form of communication.

To use you’re mobile for entertainment is a waste because a dedicated device will do a better job. Also the dedicated device saves your mobile so that it can do what it was designed to do. “Keeping you connected”

The same is true with a GPS. It is generally larger than your mobile device. So it is safer to use and you don’t have to worry about your battery draining or “sometimes” paying to use the mobile GPS function.

The camera is a good investment because it can capture events “better” than most mobile phones simply because it is its function.

So then, when you consider buying a mobile phone, look at its functions and ask yourself this question; what do I need? You will not only save money but you will end up with a functional device and not just a phone with bragging rights.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Neville Bailey (10-Nov-10)

Thanks
    I agree, the multifunctionality of mobile phones tends to make them a jack of all trades, master of none. I think it's more a status or fashion symbol as much as anything else.

I also far prefer a stand alone alarm clock, flashlight, camera, mp3 player, GPS, e-book reader and internet browser. I'm one of the strange people who just uses his phone as a phone and sends the occasional SMS.

For this reason I just renewed my cellphone contract without a 'free' phone and at a considerably reduced price. I purchased a couple of R120.00 Nokia phones cash and saved myself R400.00 per month for the next two years.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I am pro multi function devices. Yes I do own a fairly decent camera, laptop, a good GPS, flash light and MP3 player. Problem is I don't carry all that stuff around with me. If I had to there would be all sorts of gadgets left behind in cars, at airports & shops. Anything loose goes missing (...forgot a couple of jackets, books and caps on planes) Its good to be able to look up a route out of a suburb, listen to the radio, use a little flash light, listen to music, look at a to do list and keep appointments by using a single device that stays in one pocket at all times. I have a Sony Ericsson P1i and its served me well. It wakes me up in the morning, I check my email on various email addresses and I use it to log into the bank on the odd occasion. It also reminds me of the odd thing that I remember to put in the device.

Its time to upgrade and I have my eye on a Sony Ericsson Satio. The phone even comes with a built in yoyo and a tiny dingbat to boot...just for a techno junkie like myself

Thanks
    I've always found the screens of cellphones inadequate to use it as a GPS, movie viewer, ebook reader or web browser. I even find them hard work for email. You do get larger screens with iphone type phones but then they're bulky and poor battery life becomes an issue.

Thanks
    I had a Samsung Omnia 16GB when they first hit the market, a little bit of everything in a small package. The problem with these devices, the phone function is second to everything else. The Omnia's phone function was the worst I had ever encountered, now I am back to my old Samsung D900, it is yet the best I've had, but the battery is getting a bit old now and needs charging about every 3rd day, all things considered, it's maybe not so bad.

My 2c worth
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I'm happy with the Sony Ericsson. I've also had a couple of Nokias which have served me well. The worst phone I ever had was a Samsung with Windows Mobile. I could never get used to the way they implemented Windows. The Sony Ericsson Satio still runs on Symbian though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don’t know, I like my mp3/mp4 player for some strange reason. I just like to listen to music without being interrupted with a bloody “please call me”. Also a dedicated GPS is sometimes good if you are taking a road trip but a trip into town not so much. I will agree that a GPS phone is handy if you need to find someone.

I think it comes down to planning. If you plan to use a camera that day rather take one with. If you are planning on doing a bit of driving grab the GPS. If you are relaxing rather take your mp3/mp4 player. By doing this you are actually optimising your mobile phone’s functionality.

If you have your GPS on a planned trip your phone is free to do something else. If you use a camera your phone is free to do something else. If you use your mp3/mp4 player you are not bugged by constant please call me’s and you can ignore them on your phone
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I find cellphone size devices too small for any significant level of IT stuff - both the keypad and screen. Once you're resigned to carting a laptop around most of the time, pretty much everything else falls into place.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Problem is I don't carry all that stuff around with me. If I had to there would be all sorts of gadgets left behind in cars, at airports & shops. Anything loose goes missing (...forgot a couple of jackets, books and caps on planes) Its good to be able to look up a route out of a suburb, listen to the radio, use a little flash light, listen to music, look at a to do list and keep appointments by using a single device that stays in one pocket at all times.
    Personally I solve that with a laptop bag that goes everywhere with me. Laptop compartment, document compartment with dividers and ample storage space for camera, specs, chargers, spare batteries, memory sticks, dongles, DVDs, pens, cards....

And for out-of-town travel, I use an urban hiker rucksack come hand luggage on wheels thingy which has a laptop compartment built in. Takes all of the above plus toiletries and a change of clothes. Size wise it qualifies as cabin luggage, but I've had to smile lots when it's fully loaded on the odd occassion where they've weighed it at check-in

I probably should get a smaller, lighter laptop, but I can't see myself dropping down to a netbook

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As we speak, I am actually planning on using a reasonably large briefcase and built a desktop computer into it. For some reason beyond my understanding you can still buy a massif desktop system for the same price as a watered down notebook.

Netbooks are completely useless! A proper notebook with proper GPU CPU and other capabilities will set you back R12000+ Its not worth it because you can get a hard core desktop for the same price. So the next logical step is to make the desktop system as portable as possible. “Will have to get back to you on that one”

All of this said, I do think a mobile phone has its place, everything considered yes, they can do e-mail, internet banking, photography, web browsing and much more. But it also comes down to battery life... I think it all comes down to planning...
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    alot of the functions of a mobile phone are nice-to-haves. it's also nice to know that if I took a wrong turn somewhere and have ended up in the middle of nowhere, I can use the GPS to navigate the way back out. it's also nice to be able to plug in a set of headphones and listen to some music because I have forgotten my MP3 player. I can look back at the pictures I have taken with my phone's camera, for those times I haven't felt like bringing my camera along. a device that fits in my pocket has basic functionality, sure. I look at it this way. take the example of a pen-knife. it is small, can fit into your pocket, and has multiple tools. the knife isn't going to replace my Japanese carbon steel knife at home. the screwdriver isn't going to replace the one in my toolbox. I don't reach for my pen knife and that little saw when I need to cut something... but if I had to carry each of those in my pocket, I would have poked a hole through my pants, cut my leg and sawn myself in half...
    Just the same, I have the basic functionality of a laptop, digital camera, GPS, MP3 player and all that other stuff in a device that fits in my pocket.

Still, as has been said, dedicated devices are built for their specific task. That makes them better at it. I won't replace my gaming PC with my mobile anytime soon.
    The scary thing about a multi-functional mobile phone is how they can be used to suck you into working after hours. It seems trivial to just quickly check your emails, maybe respond to someone... but in the end you're still working.

12. Thank given for this post:

AndyD (28-Jul-10), Dave A (24-Jul-10)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast