Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sabs approved socket outlet

Suspended
    Thanks

sabs approved socket outlet

can someone please tell me how sabs approved this plug socket...it is an MES double socket outlet...SABS approved

how do you switch off the socket when the plug is inserted?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plug not switching.JPG 
Views:	669 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	1256  

2. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (16-Jun-10)

Thanks
    There's a lot of useless SABS approved sockets on the market coming from the far east mainly. The CBI range are also poor although not the worst.

Maybe the one pictured is designed so you can use the switch lever to help remove the plug....then again maybe not.

4. Thank given for this post:

mikilianis (16-Jun-10), wynn (15-Sep-10)

Suspended
    Thanks
    it seems sabs have also figued out how to make money...who cares whether or not it works...so long as someone signs the document approving equipment...money can be made

Suspended
    Thanks
    this socket outlet is the cheapest and of course the best seller at the wholesaler...now how do you issue a coc if the socket is sabs approved but the switch cannot make and break while the socket is inserted according to section 4 tests number 14 all switching devices, make and break circuits...by the way this is my test plug for cocs...so now what do i do become a crimminal like all the other people mentioned on this site...and do i just sign off the coc...what do i do?

the right thing to do is remove all the sockets and replace them with ones which make and break...eeeeish i am sure the customer will say no problem just send me the bill

Suspended
    Thanks
    the feed back i am getting is that it is not SABS to blame...nor the socket manufacturer...but the appliance company who fits the plug top to their appliances.

i checked all my plug tops at home and found i have the same plug tops on all my new appliances but my sockets are the old lumex type with the switch on the side.

i am trying to understand how this whole fiasco came about...maybe someone can explain to me how sabs works...because i must be missing something.

i would asume they have a standard for the plug socket sans 164 which must be a specific size so that when someone makes a plug top it should fit in so that it doesnt hinder the operation of the socket and switch...

before you can sell a product in south africa all components have to be tested by sabs and passed..am i on the right track here...the way i see it the sabs are to blame because when they issued the certification for the appliance with the moulded plug which comes as part of the appliance someone didnt do their job properly...or the company which makes the appliance has changed the plug top supplied with the appliance...and they are responsible.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    the feed back i am getting is that it is not SABS to blame...nor the socket manufacturer...but the appliance company who fits the plug top to their appliances.
    More commonly known as "passing the buck"

EDIT: Another thought - It might be cheaper to have the client change all their plug tops to fit the plug outlet. And we don't issue COC's for plug tops and therefor can't be responsible for over-sized plugtops.
    Now how's that for passing the buck?
    Last edited by Dave A; 18-Jun-10 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    .......we don't issue COC's for plug tops and therefor can't be responsible for over-sized plugtops.
    Now how's that for passing the buck?
    Lol, That's actually a very good point. There would be no reason under the existing legislation to fail the sockets on a COC because the appliance plug is exempt from any testing or inspection.

Thanks
    I cannot resist: Is the plugtop SABS compliant? That might be the reason. The way things are in sunny SA it could very well be the socket outlet though. There are plenty of products that do not meet the standards on the market. The most common of all is the bedside lamp in most houses with a brass lampholder that is wired with ripcord. This is a sore point for me as the brother of a friend electrocuted himself with one.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    before you can sell a product in south africa all components have to be tested by sabs and passed..am i on the right track here...
    Hi Murdock, unfortunately this is not the case. If a product is a SABS Mark bearing product, the SABS' logo will be on the product/packaging. This will mean that the product has been tested & approved. (To have product tested by the SABS is voluntary.)

The organisation responsible for the regulating of products entering the South African market is the NRCS (National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications).

Hope this info helps you.
    Last edited by Buzzlady; 16-Aug-10 at 12:22 PM.

Email problem
    Thanks
    what about clipsal s2000 plugs.i find that if i use my plug tester which comes with a moulded plug top then it shows no earth.if i pull the plug out slightly the earth makes contact. the moulded plug top earth pin has metal on the front part of the pin and plastic the rest of it. a lot of appliances have those types of plug tops.

13. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (18-Sep-10)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.