Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xenephobia

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Angry Xenephobia

My Zimbabwean staff have been told on numerous occasions to move out because they are going to be forcefully removed after the world cup.

I hereby vow that if anything happens to my Zimbabwean staff that I will NOT hire South Africans to replace them. If the South Africans think that they can intimidate good hard working people and thereby forcefully get jobs for themselves, they are making a moerse mistake.

It is time that South Africans learn that they should work for their money like everybody else. I work 16 hours a day, mostly for peanuts to keep the business going and to make sure that the staff get paid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ah yes, this is not the first time that I was told that Zimbabwean staff is worth gold. However if your staff is "legal" then you can relocate them “if you have the means to do so”. I know of a famer that did just that. His employees were legal and he gave them proper secure shelter.

However, the growing problem is the fact that Zimbabweans are also used as a cheap form of labour. Now I am not saying you are, but the fact is, it is happening across South Africa. Then there is also the alarming crime factor to consider... a lot of “attacks” on South African people are largely blamed on illegal’s... Again I am not saying that all people that cross our borders are evil. The truth is, it takes really very little to create unrest.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    People will always look for greener pastures..and if you think we the only ones with a "problem", look at the US(Mexicans), or the Eastern Europeans"invading" England.

It is the refusal of the authorities to deal with these issues constructively that is the problem, NOT the illegal immigrants!

Jobs can never be taken away... they have to be created..that the South AFricans have to realise
    Sean Goss We all are scared, but only few are brave.
    www.sgafc.co.za

4. Thanks given for this post:

desA (08-Jun-10)

Thanks
    You have my sympathy and I admire your stand.

This is a situation that has been created by the powers that be. The trade unions have unfortunately created an ethos of more and more money for less and less work. You will not get the same production out of the locals.

Good Luck to you!!!!

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave S (17-Jun-10)

Thanks
    I agree with you adrianh. It's just like how Muslims have been labeled as terrorists and are treated with suspicion and hatred, all because a few idiots decided to blow stuff up... often enough it is the minority that ends up making a name for the majority.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Hannan View Post
    You have my sympathy and I admire your stand.

This is a situation that has been created by the powers that be. The trade unions have unfortunately created an ethos of more and more money for less and less work. You will not get the same production out of the locals.

Good Luck to you!!!!
    No Kidding!! We currently have a case where an employee, a member of SACAWU has outright refused to do anything more than his Job Statement identifies as his tasks. This same employee is asking for more money and a promotion! Here's where we have a problem.

How are we to know that he is capable of doing a more advanced task? If it's never been on his job statement, he would never do the additional tasks and therefore would not be legible for a promotion.

If his attitude has always been to do only what is stated in his JS, then obviously, he is on a fixed salary that relates to his JS, so he isn't eligible for an increase either?

Trying to get this fellow to understand that he must show his initiative in order to advance is like trying to tell a brick wall to grow taller.

There are many staff members that I, personally, have advanced in leaps and bounds over the years, because they have "gone the extra mile" in proving their worth to the company.

The motto of all unions seems to be "More money - less work". It's getting so bad that nowadays you have to include bathroom breaks in a job statement...
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    No Kidding!! We currently have a case where an employee, a member of SACAWU has outright refused to do anything more than his Job Statement identifies as his tasks. This same employee is asking for more money and a promotion! Here's where we have a problem.

How are we to know that he is capable of doing a more advanced task? If it's never been on his job statement, he would never do the additional tasks and therefore would not be legible for a promotion.

If his attitude has always been to do only what is stated in his JS, then obviously, he is on a fixed salary that relates to his JS, so he isn't eligible for an increase either?

Trying to get this fellow to understand that he must show his initiative in order to advance is like trying to tell a brick wall to grow taller.

There are many staff members that I, personally, have advanced in leaps and bounds over the years, because they have "gone the extra mile" in proving their worth to the company.

The motto of all unions seems to be "More money - less work". It's getting so bad that nowadays you have to include bathroom breaks in a job statement...
    This is an interesting scenario. What you may want to consider is to bring in training modules. To be considered “eligible” for training the employee must agree with the new terms and conditions stated on a new contract that he must sign and agree too. If he/ she wish not to partake then let them state there reasons and allow them to sign by it.

When promotion time comes then those that did the training will be considered first. Secondly, a lot of companies “big companies” now use a 3 month to 5 month contract base. Thus if employee is troublesome then you just don’t renew the contract.

Talk to your legal advisor about this system.

In the end it is about protecting your business from abusive employees.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

10. Thank given for this post:

Dave S (18-Jun-10), tonyflanigan (24-Jul-10)

Thanks

Smile Problem Employees

You make a good argument Tec0. We are, in fact, drawing a new job statement and contract for this individual, and he will now be on a 6-month contract, with a negligible increase. His new JS now itemises almost every task he must perform and includes the clause "and other reasonable tasks as may be required from time to time", he will also be assessed on a monthly basis. He must now either come to the party or ship out.

It's not quite as easy as that but I think you get the idea.
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Thanks
    I would love to know what this individuals reaction is. Hopefully you are also doing it to some other members of your work force otherwise he is going to pull the "victimisation angle on you.
    Best of luck

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You can't keep renewing short term contracts - they are then considered to be permanent employees. This is also why the unions are up in arms about labour broking.

14. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (19-Jun-10)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.