Thread: Are your staff stealing and would you know?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Silver Member
    Thanks

Are your staff stealing and would you know?

Up and till a week ago I would have said mrr,err well, I trust this one, this one could and this one might. But at the end of the day, unless you are a there, for every second, you don’t. Something came to my attention on Tuesday, from another person. More rumours than anything else – but decided to act – as I have had a funny feeling deep down, and often it’s best to act on your gut. I have been a bit slack recently and have been working at home quite a bit.

At work first thing in the morning for a massive, stock take. I am personally counting everything and inputting – with a staff member recounting and bringing any (of my) mistakes to my attention, which I then recount. Not only that have also implemented a lockdown on the database – which will remain in place – where only I can change product prices and quantities.

Have there been mistakes, yes, plenty. Can I start accusing people of theft? Not by a long shot. Shoddy work, yes, but not theft. I have counted most of the steal able, expensive gear and a running about even with what I expect to have – which at least puts my mind at rest, slightly. Another few days will give me the overall picture.

What I have done, is be the nice guy a little to often, sometimes a boss must be just that – I forget that often: being nice, paying better than average wages, much better bonuses and better holidays – doesn’t guarantee staff loyalty, and checks must be put in place.

Just something to think about. And I think my staff, are, on the whole, great. But I am also sure they could justify, in their heads, the odd pair of shoes going missing…

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (02-Jun-10)