Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does bad spelling...

Thanks

Does bad spelling...

Sometimes I can't take posts seriously when there is bad spelling in it. This makes me think is the poster serious or just stirring. My spelling is/was atrocious but with the spell checkers available it should be a lot better. Now when you use a spell checker make sure the right word is chosen. An example is loose has a totally different meaning to lose. Other ones I see are commit/comment.
    Now rather than just moaning about it let me give my solution, add a spell checker to your browser. In google chrome it is a standard. When offered alternative spellings check it to see if you have chosen the correct word.

Am I just being an anal idiot or does anyone have examples to add.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The truth is spelling is really important. It shows professionalism and educated thought. However, sometimes I for one will get it wrong. Not because I don’t use spell check rather something a bit more human such as disabilities.

For that I can only apologise, but I really do try not to make mistakes but sometimes I will miss something, or make an error and simply not notice. I know it must be irritating to read, and far more difficult to take any person seriously due to these mistakes.

That being said I do think it comes down to someone expressing him or herself, and I for one feel that it is just as important.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    If you advertise your bussiness and name on the website, people will judge you for the content and how you write threads.

I use the websites to let my hair down and speak freely.

I spend enough time trying to be prim and proper crossing all the Tees and doting the Is during the day for customers.

I am sure Dave has a way of blocking threads you dont want to read.

I hope nobody takes my threads seriously.

I have also learnt that people on webstes are not always who they try make out to be.

You can be who ever you want to be on the internet.

When it comes to my work and my bussiness, i make sure my spelling and grammar is correct. Because i am dyslexic, i make sure i dont mix the letters or leave any out when doing reports.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Spelling

You are being anal.

This is an informal forum for general chit chat. We are not writing business letters. Don't you think that measuring the value of a message by the correctness of its spelling is a bit SuuperPHisial!

Keep this in mind:
    When a person points at the moon, some see the finger and some the moon.

...you choose what you see and what you fixate on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    You are being anal.
    Adrianh
    I thought so that is why I put it in the OP.

It is just sometimes there are triggers that makes me wonder. If we did recheck our contributions before hitting "submit reply" would you actually change the tone of the post and try and understand the other point of view. If we are not willing to have our minds changed then it is not a debate.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Spelling

Fair comment. I've gotten myself into trouble many times by responding to mails without due consideration. I like the idea that re-reading and spell checking gives us the opportunity to "count to 10"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My thoughts towards the subject points to insecurities. I am sure if you have a look at most SMS’s you will find a form of what is now known as SMS slang. Others like the older generations would sit and spell every word via their PC or dictionary, before sending their SMS for fear that they would be ridiculed if a spelling mistake is found.

If you read the newspaper then yes you expect it to be free of spelling errors. Still informal discussions, chat and SMS I feel that the odd error would be acceptable. When chatting was still young some individuals got really aggravated if words where misspelled. Today I see that it is no longer a problem.

So yes it is good practice to try and spell correctly all the time, I say this because there is a bit of a double-edged sword if you will. If you don’t practise at getting it right then you may end up getting it wrong all the time...

What gets me mixed up is words like Practice and Practise both can point to the same thing.

Practice = Learn by repetition / Practise = Learn by repetition
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    if we gona go into it...then you have to be careful cause there are different english spell checks USA...UK...SA...the reason i keep a south african pocket oxford dictionary on my desk.

example...analyse or analyze?

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hi everyone

I think English is a second language for the majority of South Africans. It took a change of mindset from me to not just "blow off" poorly written posts. So we learn...
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

10. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (01-Jun-10)

Thanks
    Sometimes you are typing so fast to put your idea down that spelling becomes a distant priority.
    Yes sometimes I have to stop and work out what is being typed but most times it is clear (there their)

by the way being AROC (anal retentive obsessive compulsive) is never a good thing unless you are an accountant.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast