Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our kids are in REAL trouble with education!

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Ai tog...

My God, don't you ever give up?

This is my last post to you.

I will not engage you in further discussion.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I remember a quote I read ages ago - "Fortunately kids grow up despite their parents."

I've always hoped there's some measure of truth in that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Children will grow up and will pursue whatever they believe to be right for them. I also hope that this is true.

adrianh>>
    Ai tog...
    My God, don't you ever give up?
    This is my last post to you.
    I will not engage you in further discussion.
    Nope. I am funny like that... Pity you do not want to continue.

Peace
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Kids growing up

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I remember a quote I read ages ago - "Fortunately kids grow up despite their parents."

I've always hoped there's some measure of truth in that.
    Yes this is true. I think at the end of the day we can only hope that parents do right by their kids to the best of their abilities given their circumstance, and in turn kids do right by themselves. We all lead different lives and have different perspectives and I am sure that almost all parents want the best for their kids.

Thanks
    I firmly believe that our kids are a by-product of the personalities around them - parents, teachers, class mates. The more each of these people spend time with the child, the greater the influence.

Young children learn by watching and copying. Try using foul language around the house and see how long before your child uses it in public. In my case, it was muttering that another driver is too slow and should get out the bloody way.

A few days later I had my 4 year old in a trolly in PnP, with an old lady taking her time blocking the isle.

Needless to say, I was horrified to hear the same phrase from my son, loud enough for all to hear. I look shocked and just had to comment that I don't know where he could have learnt such rudeness from. Am sure that my burning bright red ears and face would have told the truth. That sure bit me in the butt.

But on the other side of the coin, other (good) things we practice have become the norm with our kids. In the car, seatbelt on. Say please and thank you. don't bite your sister. put your plates on the kitchen table. All these have become second nature and never get forgotten or questioned.

If you don't spend enough time with your kids, you can't complain if they turn out like someone else.
    Watching the ships passing by.

6. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (24-May-10)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you on this. Children can be influenced and this will have an effect on their personality. I know that most mothers and fathers do their best within their boundaries “sometimes financial boundaries” but still you do get people that will harm your child be it at school or sport practice.

The truth is that your child is precious and needs your protection especially in this day and age. I sometimes feel that there is this hidden war. And within this war your child is the target. These forces seek to corrupt and destroy young lives for money. These very evil people will come in all forms, hiding behind so called “good” intentions.

My advice is “don’t trust anyone” when it comes to the wellbeing of your child.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Oi! This is obviously quite an emotive subject. Garthu, this subject has also been the bane of my life! The tasks/projects/homework/expectations are for kids with involved and educated parents. Without education no matter how involved you are, you will be unable to help your kid. It also panders to a wealthier society where the kids have access to libraries, internet and resources. I currently help an 11 year old to wade through her grades as her mother is not educated enough to do so. I cringe to think what would happen to this child if I am not in her life. This is a simple fact.

On the other side of the coin where you have the incredibly over involved parent who researches, recommends and assists to the point of doing, (sometimes due to impatience and time constraint, but mostly due obsessive emphasis on achievement) the child also learns nothing. My own children were surrounded and heavily discriminated against at project time as their own work was measured against that of other parents, in that instance, education also loses!

Either way it is a very fine line and I am not sure that we are all sufficiently skilled to deal with it. I certainly felt out of my depth on numerous occasions.
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Education

If you don't spend enough time with your kids, you can't complain if they turn out like someone else.

I love this!

Debbie, I don't think that any of are "sufficiently skilled to deal with it". We simply do the best we can. I have learned more about myself and about interacting with other people (kids & adults) in the past 11 years than I did in the 33 years before having kids. I found interacting with the girls to be enlightning to say the least. At the end of the day I want to be in a position to say: "Whatever the outcome, I did the best I could" The will lead the lives they choose, and it is their right to do so.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    My 11 year kid got this question, in maths.

The numerator should be more than 4. The denominator is 3 times the numerator, and should be 12+. In fact,was more confusing than this...

I am sure many of you can work it out, but it took me, a professional accountant more than 20 minutes to figure it out. Yes we want our kids to think, but please teachers give homework to the kids, not the parents!
    Sean Goss We all are scared, but only few are brave.
    www.sgafc.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Thats a bit egotistical... you assume you are the example everyone should be...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.