Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution To Crime In South Africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Justice or rather the quality of being just or fair will make for a good corner stone. A fully functional workable problem solving government would be good foundation. Now what is good building material? Education, equality, good living standards and job creation comes to mind.

We know the questions, and we know the answers but something always goes wrong somehow, and everything stays the same...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Perhaps, with all their apparent faults, the Thai police are more mature than the SAPS?

These people could be considered as law-enforcement extensions of their local community, rather than as employees of a huge, monolithic central SAPS service provider.

It is this local accountability aspect that is important.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    This will never work in our country as our police force are not beyond reproach. There are quite a few of them involved in criminal activities.
    I personally do not trust a policeman or traffic cop which is a very sad state of affairs.

Butch Hannan

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Solution to crime. There are many schools of thought, most looking at the roots. While I do not deny the root or cause approach is always good, I believe taht addressing the court system is the way to go. We need a more successful prosecution rate. It is no good spending money on more police, because it does not matter how many criminalsyou arrest, if tehy do not get punished. Prosecutors are overloaded and do not have investigative resources. A look at making the strike rate better plus harsh sentencing may be a good start.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

5. Thank given for this post:

Butch Hannan (19-Jun-10), Dave A (23-May-10)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post

In Asia, the police are left to clear the petty crime cases & to force the perpetrator to pay restitution. This can even be applied to matters where people have died. As long as the aggrieved family is adequately compensated by the perpetrator, a settlement is often arrived at & life goes on. If a settlement cannot be reached, then the matter is referred upwards to the courts.

In this sense, the local community plays a role in basic conflict resolution.
    ok....so THAT is where the idea for the Judge Dredd movie came from.....

and yes, even in THAT movie there was corruption at hand...

not to mention bad judgement.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Hannan View Post
    This will never work in our country as our police force are not beyond reproach. There are quite a few of them involved in criminal activities.
    I personally do not trust a policeman or traffic cop which is a very sad state of affairs.

Butch Hannan
    LOL. The Thai police are of the most corrupt in the world. They were once referred to as an organised criminal gang.

Oddly-enough, though, it is the extension of the Asian gregarious cultural role, in terms of conflict resolution at the local level, where they excel.

As I understand things, in Africa, the culture is also gregarious in nature. If so, then perhaps mechanisms can be found within those structures & norms to deal with many of the current problems?

Harder & harsher laws will only further alienate the have-nots & haves in society.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Public flogging

I think that the best deterrent to crime is public flogging and execution. No I'm not joking.

Every town should have a square where on a Saturday afternoon punishment is metered out. A bit like the Roman circus.

Theft and petty crimes - good whipping
    Rape - public castration
    Crimes where weapons where used - chopping off one hand.
    Murder - hanging

People need to be reminded as often as possible that punishment will be: swift, harsh and public.

Putting people in jail simply has no value.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I think that the best deterrent to crime is public flogging and execution. No I'm not joking.

Every town should have a square where on a Saturday afternoon punishment is metered out. A bit like the Roman circus.

Theft and petty crimes - good whipping
    Rape - public castration
    Crimes where weapons where used - chopping off one hand.
    Murder - hanging

People need to be reminded as often as possible that punishment will be: swift, harsh and public.

Putting people in jail simply has no value.

I don’t think so... Public executions sounds like the answer but it is NOT the answer. Here is the thing; take into consideration all the corruption that we have seen on TV. How many innocent people will be publicly mutilated or murdered?

For your suggestion to work you must first get the police force to be corruption free and the law systems must be working perfectly before you can even consider any form harsh justice.
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Swift, harsh & public punishment

News24

Cable thieves beaten up

Johannesburg - Two men were beaten by angry commuters inside a Putco bus after they were found in possession of stolen copper cables in KwaMhlanga, Mpumalanga, on Thursday.

Police spokesperson Nonhlanhla Kgosana said the incident happened on the R568 near Luthuli Village.

The two men, aged 18 and 19, were travelling in a bus from Ekosini Village to Pretoria.

"Some passengers became suspicious of the pair and searched their bag. They found the cables and subjected the two to a rigorous interrogation," Kgosana said.

"The two men apparently failed to explain where they got the cables and passengers beat them severely while the vehicle was still in motion."

Both suffered serious injuries.

Kgosana said the commuters then instructed the driver to stop the bus and dragged the two men out of the bus.

Police soon arrived at the scene and the men were taken to the KwaMhlanga Hospital.

"They confessed to the police that they had stolen the cables in the Ekosini Village and were going to sell them in Pretoria", said Kgosana.

The two were expected to appear in the KwaMhlanga Magistrate's Court on Friday.

Kangaroo courts - exactly what we need. It is great that the general public is standing up to the continual nonsense.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I will agree that the public was able to get these two people to justice and that their own version of beating them was “arguably” justifiable. However, a mob mentality has its own considerable dangers.

If a person is falsely accused by the public and the public continue to do this person bodily harm, and this person’s injuries are fatal. Then you have an ugly case of murder on your hands. Remember all is to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

I understand that court procedure is lengthy and sometimes the accused doesn’t always get the punishment they rightfully deserve. However that being said if you are falsely accused you will be happy that the court system exist and that you are NOT victim to a mob mentality, because you will get a chance to state your case.

Still I will admit that once you are in custody, you are locked up and your life is left to the mercy of the other criminals. We all know that bad things happen while being incarcerated, and yes it is a death sentence via HIV not to mention the permanent mental scaring you will have that may resort to suicide.

Now, one must consider if the systems are “working” then crime will lose its momentum. Right now evidence point to crime being out of control so what is wrong with the system?
    peace is a state of mind

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast