There are very few of us across the the whole spectrum of society who have not been impacted by violent crime. Much of this crime is committed by the same individuals. Quite often these individuals who happen to be out on bail have been recorded as committing in excess of thirty similar crimes. I would like to see the following steps taken.
1. No bail to be given for any person caught for violent crime such as murder, robbery, rape, hijacking etc.
2. Mandatory minimum sentences of 50 years to be imposed on conviction.
3. Bring back hard labour as part of the sentence.
4. Build a mega size prison in the middle of the Karoo to house all these individuals. This complex must have all the necessary courts, judges, attorneys etc inside the complex.
5. All individuals apprehended for these types of crime to be moved to this complex. Remove them completely from society.
6. Take the vote away from people serving prison sentences. Why should they enjoy this right when they have transgressed against the constitution.
I bet that our crime rate would drop significantly if these steps were implemented.