Thread: Labour on employment conditions for wholesale and retail workers

Thanks

Labour on employment conditions for wholesale and retail workers

Employers told to put their houses in order or face prosecution

20 April 2010

Despite the existence of a law stipulating the conditions of employment for wholesale and retail workers in the country, results of the latest labour inspections of the sector suggest a large number of employers are still disregarding the legislation.

Figures released by the Labour Department in the Free State this week show that of the 451 workplaces inspected during the week long scrutiny, only 336 employers were found to be complying, while 115 transgress the law.

During the blitz, inspectors found employers to be flouting the law and underpaying workers resulting in countless undertakings issued to employers for not complying to minimum wages, no contracts of employment, not issuing of pay slips to workers and no payment of overtime as well as not keeping attendance registers, no registrations with Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) and Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act (COIDA).

Contraventions and improvement notices were also issued to employers found not complying with the general regulations of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) while operations had to be halted in one workplace in Bloemfontein and the employer issued with prohibition notice on the usage of all electrical operated machinery in the bakery, kitchen and butchery.

Workers were also prohibited from entering and working in the cold rooms and refrigerators and from operating and handling bakery equipments without being provided with suitable Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and safe working procedures are put in place.

Defaulters issued with notices were instructed to put their houses in order or face prosecution.

More...
    Last edited by Dave A; 21-Apr-10 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I Robot View Post
    Defaulters issued with notices were instructed to put their houses in order or face prosecution.
    Something that struck me reading that - I get this marketing material all the time telling me to buy/subscribe (pay piles of money) to avoid costly LRA and OHS mistakes. Normally part of the pitch is some marginal example and dire warnings as to what it might cost in fines or imprisonment.

What really irritated me is I once bought a CD of "absolutely must-have contracts and forms" from these wonderful experts. It was amateur stuff; most disappointing.

I wonder how many small business owners are being scared into spending money for this fluff when in reality the inspectors are more interested in correcting problem situations. Fines and worse are really for the gross, repeat offender.

Some honesty, responsibility and common sense will take you a long way to keeping DoL happy.

Thanks

Labour commends Free State farmer on improved working conditions

Potato farmer praised for improving working conditions of workers

28 April 2010

The Department of Labour has praised the Saaiman Boerdery farm, for responding positively to labour inspectors' law enforcement by correcting the working conditions of its workers.

The inspectors visited the potato producing farm in Bainsvlei outside
    Bloemfontein recently and halted operations of potato packaging, after the employer who has about 50 workers in his employ, was found not complying with labour laws.

During a follow up inspection at the workplace, labour inspectors found a considerable improvement with all workers provided proper personal protective equipment (PPE) and dangerous machinery properly safe guarded as well as safe ablution facilities for the workers.

The employer has also registered for Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act (COIDA) and the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) and has put in place a clocking system for all workers to work normal working hours, workers are paid the minimum wage as stipulated by the legislation, working contracts were all signed and pay slip books was made available at the workplace.

The labour inspectors had earlier issued prohibition notices on the use of all sorting and packaging machinery until proper induction training is conducted to workers using the machines and all dangerous machines are safeguarded.

A period of up to 21 days was given to the employer to correct the contraventions and undertakings issued for not complying with Occupational Health and Safety Act and the sectoral determination for farm workers.

More...
    Last edited by Dave A; 28-Apr-10 at 01:12 PM.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.