Thread: Porcupine problem

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Porcupine problem

I have had numerous problems with a remote water boosting station. About a year ago we replaced cabling and pipes that run down a mountain side. The old pipes were badly damaged by animal teeth, I suspected it might be rats at the time but I wasn't sure.

The new pipe which is HDPE class 10 and SWAcabling was installed inside another class 10 HDPE pipe as a sleeve to prevent further damage. I was called out again this week and the sleeves, the water pipework and the SWA cables are all badly damaged beyond repair. Sections of teeth damage around 30-40 cm long occur in many places, the pipework hasat least a dozen leaks and the SWA cables are stripped down to the copper conductors in too many places to repair.

The mountainside is in Cape Town and is steeper than 45 degrees and very hazardous to descend without ropes. It is heavily wooded with thick underbrush. I called in an 'expert', he was wearing khaki shorts and one of those hats with a roll down flap at the back so he must know what he's talking about. He reckons that the damage is caused by porcupines but he doesn't know how to stop them doing it.

I don't want to replace the system again without effective measures in place to prevent further damage. Trenching is impossible due to the high angle and the forest roots. There's no machinery can go down this slope. If these things can chew through calss 10 HDPE and the steel armour stranding of SWA cxabling then I'm fresh out of ideas.

I've never clapped eyes on a porcupine, I always thought they were a bit more substantial that a hedgehog but I think I may have underestimated the enemy in this particular battle.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
    Attached Images Attached Images