Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zapiro - unfinished business

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Zapiro - unfinished business

It looks like Zapiro is returning to old themes when it comes to Jacob Zuma. His unfinished business cartoon is causing an uproar.

Perhaps a pre-emptive strike on the De Kock and Shaik pardon applications, but what really caught my interest is the showerhead might be making a comeback.

Thanks
    Imagine the cartoon if the the two guys got a pardon.
    I love cartoons that cut it this close to the bone, it should get the "in" crowd thinking.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    That's pretty rough stuff. No wonder there was an outcry.

It does disrespect the office of President - especially the rape inferences. I'm not sure it would do SA's image all that good, to be honest.

An odd world this. I met Jacob Zuma on one occasion in the old Jhb SAA business lounge. This was in his days as Deputy President. He was a fairly likable chap.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Like it or not Shapiro has a brilliant mind and is a comedy genius. Has any one seen the puppets that would have been a TV show? This got sensored via red tape. Some real clever stuff.
    Perhaps the unbuckling is a bit harsh, particulalry has Lady Justice does have a long dress, so one cannot be saying she is asking for it, can we?
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post
    I'm trying, Desmond. I really am. But damn it the man doesn't make it easy at times.

Personally I think Zapiro should have waited for JZ to actually give the pardons (if he ever does) before releasing this one, and it actually gives an insight into Zapiro himself. Clearly the idea struck him based on current speculation (which is genius), but then he had to publish it for the world to see, didn't he. Strikes me as a bit narcissistic.

Or maybe it's his idea of a warning to the President...
    Last edited by Dave A; 15-Jan-10 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks

smile your being done

That's pretty rough stuff. No wonder there was an outcry.

It does disrespect the office of President - especially the rape inferences. I'm not sure it would do SA's image all that good, to be honest.

An odd world this. I met Jacob Zuma on one occasion in the old Jhb SAA business lounge. This was in his days as Deputy President. He was a fairly likable chap.

Most con artists are likable chaps

7. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (16-Jan-10)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    All I can say is

It shows a point of view that was shared by many and basically if censorship and banning is the next step then we will no longer need a Media or news system because all you will get is “censored” displayed in big red letters.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    I think that I was shocked by the direct nature of the cartoon & the clear display of press freedom still evident in SA.

In SE Asia, this kind of cartoon would land the artist in jail for a long, long time. In Thailand, for instance, if people even speak in a slightly negative manner regarding the Thai king, they can see a jail term of up to 15 years, hard labour. Other countries in the region sentence people to long jail terms for speaking out against government corruption.

So, SA's press freedom still seems to be very much alive & well.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I'm trying, Desmond. I really am. But damn it the man doesn't make it easy at times.

Personally I think Zapiro should have waited for JZ to actually give the pardons (if he ever does) before releasing this one, and it actually gives an insight into Zapiro himself. Clearly the idea struck him based on current speculation (which is genius), but then he had to publish it for the world to see, didn't he. Strikes me as a bit narcissistic.

Or maybe it's his idea of a warning to the President...
    The fact that the president is considering a pardon is in itself disturbing. De Kock has at least done a whack of time and as such consideration should be given. Sheik on the other hand should not even be considered. If the president would say so outright it might earn him a whole mountain of respect and the benefit of the doubt might be restored.

On an aside, it is interesting how we all, myself included, drew the impression that the cartoon depicted or made a play on the rape issue. We did miss that it could be an indictment or an implication that says F$*%^ the justice system or that the justice system is being F#$%% An interesting demonstration of branding and brand power.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

11. Thanks given for this post:

tonyflanigan (18-Jan-10)

Thanks
    I think that I was shocked by the direct nature of the cartoon & the clear display of press freedom still evident in SA.

In SE Asia, this kind of cartoon would land the artist in jail for a long, long time. In Thailand, for instance, if people even speak in a slightly negative manner regarding the Thai king, they can see a jail term of up to 15 years, hard labour. Other countries in the region sentence people to long jail terms for speaking out against government corruption.

So, SA's press freedom still seems to be very much alive & well.
    Well the King ( they keep on with the ruling party don't they, a king rules the rest govern) needs a finanial advisor and only shaik knows how to get into the tax jar with all these extra wives the home budget must be a nightmare and who cares about the press

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast