Thread: I catch the train daily, should I worry

Suspended
    Thanks

I catch the train daily, should I worry

SA skies among the safest

By Nthambeleni Gabara

Pretoria – South Africa is one of the safest countries in the world in which to travel by air, says Transport Minister Sibusiso Ndebele.

This assurance comes after an SA Airlink aircraft failed to stop on the runaway while landing at George Airport on Monday morning. It stopped just meters before the busy N2 highway.

"We want to assure all those who make use or intend making use of air travel in South Africa that our planes and airport infrastructure are safe.

“There have been two isolated incidents of runway excursions in the past weeks, but there is nothing to panic about. South Africa has one of the best air safety records in the world," he said.

Ndebele added that runway excursions were a worldwide problem and were being aggressively addressed by both aviation authorities and air safety bodies.

The 37-seater aircraft was reportedly arriving from Cape Town in rainy weather when it aquaplaned off the end of the wet runway. It broke through the airport perimeter fence and came to a halt at a road between the airport and the N2 freeway.

A total of 33 people were evacuated from the aeroplane, five of them with minor injuries.

The Commissioner for Civil Aviation said it was concerned by the recent number of accidents or incidents involving SA Airlink and the South African Civil Aviation Authority has instituted an intensified audit programme of the maintenance, operating procedures and pilot training for the airline.

This audit is over and above the normal safety oversight programme that is conducted on all airlines operating in and into South Africa. – BuaNews

Trains collide, probe underway

Pretoria - The Railway Safety Regulator (RSR) has dispatched inspectors to the accident scene where two passenger trains collided in the North West.

A woman was killed and 110 people were injured in the collision which occurred along the Carletonville road in Boskop, outside Potchefstroom on Monday, police said.

The RSR said the incident was unfortunate, adding that it would ensure that similar tragedies do not occur again.

“The RSR will ensure the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) puts in place measures that will ensure that we do not have a recurrence of an accident of this nature,” said RSR. - BuaNews

Train drivers of today are the mini bus drivers of yesterday. They keep on over taking when there is oncoming traffic. Don't they ever learn?

Thanks

FAIL
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
    Business isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Marine Aquariums SA

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There have to be questions asked about SA Airlink - isn't that 4 in the last few months?

As for the train one - I heard one went through the rail equivalent of a red light. Why the driver was in such a rush, goodness only knows. He'd already caught the train, so that excuse goes out the window.

Thanks
    There have to be questions asked about SA Airlink
    You think!!!
    Road Link.....Air Link, dare i say it.....

Nationwide was grounded for less than that if i recall correctly.
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
    Business isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Marine Aquariums SA

Suspended
    Thanks
    SA Road Link is known as SA Deathlink or Roadstink. Deathlink due to the accidents, Roadstink, they have no flowing water in the latrines. The passengers are notified to only do a no 1 (wee) and they fail to clean their ears and do a no 2 (poo). Man! Can it stink when going through the air conditioner.

Thanks
    Is it a plane or an aquaplane?
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks