Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: And the lights go out again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Then there are the batteries and inverter.

With this looking like a long term issue, I'm seriously considering installing a backup generator setup for my office. Computers, telephone system and lights, I think. The cost in downtime is really starting to add up.

Thanks
    Yep, I think I would rather go with a generator as well.

dsd, why is there an issue with regards to the eco-friendlinesses of solar panels?
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Eskom has failed to get the big price hike they were hoping for. Although the approved increase of 14.2% is still well above the inflation target range.

Electricity parastatal Eskom has failed to secure permission to hike annual tariffs by 18% after the National Energy Regulator (Nersa) on Thursday ruled that it may only implement a price increase of 14,2%.

Nersa said that the rule changes applied for by Eskom in April had been declined.

Eskom had requested that it be allowed to increase tariffs by 18,7% during the 2008/09 financial year to maintain effective operations following a steep increase in its input costs of coal and the need to finance capital expenditure.
    full story from M&G here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatmaster View Post
    dsd, why is there an issue with regards to the eco-friendlinesses of solar panels?
    I need to do a bit of research to find out what the latest info is. About 5 years ago I spoke to a guy that did some research with solar panels, and he was quite dissillusioned as, at that time, the amount of energy required to manufacture a solar panel was more than it produced in it's entire lifetime.

I do need to find out if the current panels are better, but you do have to take into account manufacturing energy.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    With this thread in mind, I took a moment to get some details on my parent's solar electricity system whilst visiting over Christmas.

It's a 24 volt system and each 0.5 metre square panel produces 100 watts.

It wasn't much use talking about costs - they've had the system long enough that I'm sure the cost at the time would no longer be relevant nowadays.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Eskom has failed to get the big price hike they were hoping for. Although the approved increase of 14.2% is still well above the inflation target range.
    How is inflation ever going to go down if government keeps approving these big increases? Has government kept any increase below 6% lately?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I was driving back to the office after a bit of wandering about. The 2.00 pm news bulletin on Radio 5 was not full of good cheer.

Eskom has asked for bids on a new nuclear power station - with hopes to get started in 2010 and completion by 2016.

Also, load shedding is expected all of this week. But how about this. Apparently people suffering load shedding once a day is not enough anymore. Some areas will be switched off for two hours twice a day now.

The problem is getting worse. Much worse. And I couldn't help but think of this post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Shut down one aluminium smelter and the problem is solved. The govt knew what was coming, and yet gave a clearance for yet another smelter.
    Are we still aggressively expanding the grid in the midst of this power shortage?
    Surely new projects with a heavy draw have to be put on hold until we've got the power to carry them.

It was bad enough when you could expect a load shed in your area every couple of days. Now they're talking some areas twice a day! I expect that means virtually everyone can expect an interruption at least once a day.

What happened? A new smelter come online?

Thanks
    Yep, Krugersdorp is down atm for the 2nd time today, that means 4 hours of productivity, gone. I need a serious question answered. I need to run 3 pc's, printer/fax and 2 notebooks. I need to buy a generator now. What sort of generator or solutions can you guys suggest?

Thanks
    What type of printer, laser of inkjet?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Inkjet!
    Ok, this is really serious now. My losses for the day is in access of 15k. The electricity is off now for 2 and a half hours. That is excluding this morning's 2 hours. I am going to look for a generator right away. To buy it for 2k or 3k is now really worth while.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.