Thread: interest on credit card

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Suspended
    Thanks

interest on credit card

i have just received my latest credit card statement and busy working out the settlement and i noticed how i pay my budget account.

all my budget installment are calculated monthly and interest is charged...i dont have a problem with this...must be pretty normal

here the thing i have just noticed...i get charged interest on my budget facitly then the amount is deducted from my straight account...i didnt have a problem with this until i noticed that i am being charged interest on the total amount including the budget deducted amount...now because i got behind with my minimum payment i am now paying interest on the accumatling amounts...

standard bank are not interested in my problems and are not prepared to assist me in any way they dont even bother responding to any secure messages etc...just charge me for every little default which makes me laugh how it works with the latest technology a payment the night before if done after 7 pm is not included in your balance the following day...i have just been nailed another R115 and my vehicle payment reversed again because i went over my limit by R80...it sad for me and what a bonus for them another R115 for nothing...i wish i could rip my customers off like this...talk a bout a get rich quick scheme...i would love to see the amount of money standard bank is making just on this R115 from all the customers they are nailing...this is easier money than the lotto during these difficult times.

when you start going downhill boy you fall fast...i feel for all those other people out there in the same position i have been in these last couple months and hope they manage to get lucky and have a bail out plan...all my problems will be sorted out in the next day or 2 and i will be completely debt free again and have some spare money to buy some new equipment for my bussines to help reduce the tax i am gona have to pay...maybe even buy a new superbike as a delivery bike...i am busy making arragement to move to a bank which will offer me that personal attention...i might pay a little more in fees but at least i know the bank manager personally so hopefully i will get better service.

lets hope i can stay out of debt for a while so i dont have to go through all this cr*p again.

one thing i never do is get into more debt than i have assets to settle for example my bond is half the value of my property...all my equipment office stuff etc in my bussiness is all paid for and one of my vehicles is paid off and the other...the hp is less than the market value...in other words if things had got really bad i could have sold everything and still walked away with money in the bank...i cant say the same for other people...maybe take this as a tip and try not spend more than you can settle...i listen to people talking and hear how the banks have them by the neck...squeezing every little cent out of them they can get...and they have nowhere to go other than liquidations debt management etc...the rich get richer and the middle and lower class just pay

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Really chuffed to hear you're almost there, Murdock. There is no better feeling, I reckon.

Picking up on the credit card interest - it's a killer all right.

I was reading the fine print on one card a bit more attentively than usual the other day. If you don't pay the settlement balance by due date, interest charges are calculated from day 1. So much for "up to 55 days free credit." That only applies if you settle the full balance

Suspended
    Thanks
    thanks dave...hopefully when i wake up tomorrow morning it will be like i won the lotto just that i had to work hard for it

now the trick is to spend it wisely...making it was the easy part...what i do with it will determine how my finances either grow or collapse again.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i woke up this morning checked my bank account and man it feels like i have won the lotto...this is the first time in 18 years of bussiness i have ever had a 5 digit figue in my bank account...and in the positive i wish i could invite everyone out for a drink tonight

i think i am gona surprise my wife and take her out for dinner.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    This relates more to my personal life, but hey.
    Cut down on any recurring costs. I was paying for my BSc course, and I really felt that. recurring costs may seem convenient when everything is bright and your balance looks good, but there's nothing that will get you in debt faster than a few recurring debit orders.
    Make sure you're using what you pay for. I went through 200 SMSes a month easily when my GF was out of town. now that she is around constantly, I use a lot less. Some phone contracts like these business call ones have you paying 500 bucks per month, just for cheaper rates. do you really spend that much time on the phone to justify it versus a pre-paid or top up account?

This has helped me quite a bit. Sorry if I'm a bit off topic =P

Suspended
    Thanks
    i agree with the cellphone contract...i cancealed both and are on pay as you go...months i dont use it i dont pay...i keep my chatting to min. and save big time...when i had a contract i spoke more with the logic...per min saving...but not saving because until i put limits on contracts they would run into hundreds of rands.

keeping the credit card but cancealed limit...to use only when required to save on debit card till fees...will put money into the cerdit card then use it.

paying ridiculous fees for using my bussiness debit card...added up totals into the hundreds of rands...also checked cash withdrawls fees have gone thru the roof...so the credit card will be the way to go.

also reduced clothing accounts to R500 max...handy to keep these for people checking your credit rating...i have always managed to keep these at resonable levels...ie less than R2000.

got more money coming in soon...already planning how to invest or save...considering putting into my bond...my goal is to pay the bond off in the next 5 years and then be total debit free...the next step will be retirement...if everything is paid off and i only have rates... electricity... water and food to pay for i just need some money in the bank so i can retire and i wont even be 50 yet.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    Cut down on any recurring costs. I was paying for my BSc course, and I really felt that.
    Considering that course is a major contributor to the cause of your income, at least you know you're getting a positive return on your investment

Great point, though. There are lots of "recurring costs" scenarios where the return is not nearly as enduring or obviously worthwhile.