Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: employment conditions

Silver Member
    Thanks

employment conditions

Hi guys - wonder if you can help.

My "empire" is growing and will be opening another small shop on the 1st of October. I now need to get more professional in my approach to running them as I soon I will need to register for vat. I have now taken on a bookkeeper for a few hours a month.

My next big task is to give the employees all terms of employment - but where to start? What are the requirements? Does lunch have to be taken outside the shop, or can it be taken inside the shop? How does public holiday pay work? Is there minimum pay?

All help and links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Hey there,
    You have two options, go to the Labour Website, the have a basic conditions of employment summary there for you to look at.

I've also found Fleet Street Publications' Practical Guide to Human Resources Management very useful. The File contains all the niggly aspects that we sometimes miss. The cool thing about this publication is that they send you updated sections as the labour law changes and shifts.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Pap_sak (25-Sep-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great to hear your empire is growing, Pap sak

Have you got an employment contract in place for your existing staff?
    Or is this just about the subtleties?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi Dave, not as yet, have been a bit slack in that department. Haven't even written down what days they have already taken leave....

Silver Member
    Thanks
    2.2 Ordinary hours of work : Section 9

No employer shall require or permit an employee to work more than-
    (a) 45 hours in any week;
    (b) nine hours in any day if an employee works for five days or less in a week; or
    (c) eight hours in any day if an employee works on more than five days in a week.

would anyone know if the lunch hour is included in that and is the lunch hour paid for?

2.6 Meal intervals : Section 14

2.6.1 An employee must have a meal interval of 60 minutes after five hours work.

2.6.2 A written agreement may-
    (a) reduce the meal interval to 30 minutes;
    (b) dispense with the meal interval for employees who work fewer than six hours on a day.
    Last edited by Dave A; 26-Sep-09 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Breaks aren't included in working hours and wouldn't be included in pay if your pay is based on an hourly rate.

8. Thanks given for this post:

Pap_sak (26-Sep-09)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap_sak View Post
    Hi guys - wonder if you can help.

My "empire" is growing and will be opening another small shop on the 1st of October. I now need to get more professional in my approach to running them as I soon I will need to register for vat. I have now taken on a bookkeeper for a few hours a month.

My next big task is to give the employees all terms of employment - but where to start? What are the requirements? Does lunch have to be taken outside the shop, or can it be taken inside the shop? How does public holiday pay work? Is there minimum pay?

All help and links would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi There,
    Have you tried Seesa they are labour consultants, for about a grand a month they will come out set up policies for you, set up labour contracts for you, represent you at any ccma r labour court hearings etc check out www.seesa.co.za
    Hope that helps
    Dean

10. Thanks given for this post:

Pap_sak (26-Sep-09)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Cheers for that Dean -little on the pricey side for me at the moment

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This can’t be right? 45 hours? Are you sure? Is there any exception to this law? Fact is most steel plants is a 24 7 industry. Now in general if you don’t work more than 168 hours in two weeks you don’t make any money. Your pay without overtime is barely able to sustain you.

Now most people that work on the production side of the steel plants work around about 336 hours a month just get a good pay and sometimes if the bosses demands it, the workers must work about 420 hours without any kind of leave. In more than one occasion I was told by a few people that they have to use their own personal leave just to get a break.

Now the unions are fully aware of this situation but they never acted? So I asked again is this just a general law for commercial businesses or is this an actual law for everyone?

Just as a footnote, if those workers don’t get overtime there income drops with more then 70%???

Silver Member
    Thanks
    No, as far as I'm aware those hours are in terms of Basic Conditions of Employment Act. Could your example not be attributed to the fact that as apprentices these guys earn a mere pittance (e.g. +- R790 per week as 2nd year apprentice) and (as you say) in order to survive they elect/request to work those long hours?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast