Thread: Lawyer costs ito drafting a will

Thanks

Lawyer costs ito drafting a will

Hi. Can anyone please give me an indication of what a lawyer will charge me for drafting a very standard will. (I know that my bank will do it for free but I don't want to go that way)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I see you are in CT Tanya, one of the best (read, very honest, very reasonable, very ethical) lawyers in Bellville area Louis Kessler from David Kessler and Co. 021 948 4004
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    If the attorney indeed charge you it will not be much save for consultation. If I were to be a lawyer I will definitely not charge for this service as I will be aware that my returns are not at drafting the will but at winding up the estate.

Also; it is never a wise idea to have your will with the banks because when you kick the bucket the bank will get to know first how much your estate is worth and will secure itself first before looking after your interest.

Thanks
    Standard bank charged me R350 to draft a will. They delivered a bog standard will that was nothing like I had asked for and got shirty when I queried it. End result was an automatic entry on my statement and a piece of paper that ended up in the bin. They were not interested in correcting the situation or reversing the amount they had stolen from my account. So much for a good feeling that they would handle my affairs when I reach the other side. They are only interested in the admin of your estate and include clauses that give them full proxy to do what they want with your estate and override any of your wishes. In addition they reserve the rights to charge any figure they feel like for the administration over and above the standard fees.

From that experience I felt they were totally dishonest with their upfront charge, lack of advice and a bunch of words that would rape your estate once you had gone. I assume that all the banks are the same.

The question still remains as to who one could nominate as your administrator that would give you piece of mind that the right thing would be done with your estate. Its not the banks and its not the insurance companies. I would guess its a good family lawyer type of person with a solid interest in doing good in the world for your family at the prescribed or reasonable rate. Is there anybody out there that fits that description?
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Here is my 2 cents towards a goo will.

Firstly have as little assets in your name as possible. Create Trusts, cc's etc, as long as you have as little assets as possible in your own name. If possible for those not married, seriously consider marrying out of property with ANC drawn clearly and succintly.

Your beneficiaries must only enjoy usufructus rights once you are gone.

As I said: my 2cents worth!

Thanks

Cost of wills

I have usually, where I am nominated as an executor, prepared my client's wills for free, unless it is a complex will, such as one involving a trust to be created for minor children.

I also do NOT charge the client for keeping the will in my securities, unlike the banks. I see this as a value added free service to my clients for ultimate benefit.

Most attorneys see the wills that they hold in their securities as part of the goodwill value of the firm.

regards
    Sieg