I read with a somewhat cynical eye stories circulating last week that medical aid funds are looking to be part of the proposed national health plan. Of course they do! Otherwise there are a whole lot of people who will be looking for another way to earn their daily crust.

The USA is also going through its own healthcare program debate at the moment, and its bringing forward some interesting, but pretty contrasting viewpoints. Take a moment to read No good idea will go unchallenged and Will it go round in circles? to see some different examples.

It really does pose the question - when should government be providing the services and when should it be left to the private sector?

I've generally held that government should be a moderating force with the private sector being the main driver of service provision. But after reading that little lot, I may need to rethink that.

I'd be interested to hear what you think. What should government provide and what should government leave to the private sector?