Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K53 Drivers Test - Not Working

Thanks

K53 Drivers Test - Not Working

'NOBODY APPLIES IT - IT'S AN INEFFECTIVE SYSTEM'

A new system must be found to replace the "ineffective" K53 driving test, according to the head of the Road Traffic Management Corporation.

He also said nearly a half-million vehicles on South African roads had false number plates - effectively trashing the concept of "prosecution by camera".

How can a magistrate find an accused guilty of speeding when the only evidence is a photograph of a number plate on the offending car?

Ranthoko Rakgoale told parliament's portfolio committee on transport that "nobody really applied" the techniques taught by the K53 system
    'When you drive, you don't do all those things' - Ranthoko Rakgoale

"We are subjecting people to something we don't even monitor. This is an ineffective system."

Rakgoale said an effective solution needed to be found to reduce South Africa's high rate of road deaths. An RTMC report said there were 12 011 road deaths in South Africa in 2007, 12 456 the previous year and 14 920 in 2006.

About 7000 road users were disabled and 40 000 were seriously injured on the roads each year.

The World Bank has said that, should nothing effective be done, crashes would become the second-largest cause of deaths in South Africa by 2020.

Rakgoale also told the committee that high numbers of South African vehicles had false number plates.

"You find that this number plate does not belong to a Mercedes, but to a Toyota," he said
    Half-million cars on SA roads have false plates
    "That is the reality in this country."

According to the latest data from the RTMC, the number of unlicensed vehicles on the roads increased to 428 537 in 2007 compared to 345 341 in 2006. - Sapa

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?...751&fSetId=381

" I spent most of my money on Bikes , Booze + Babes , The rest I waisted "

Live fast, die young and have a good corpse -- James Dean
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
    Business isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Marine Aquariums SA

Thanks
    According to this table which is a few years old but probably still works, road traffic deaths are number 9 on the scale, one better than diarrhea diseases which is what it would appear this person suffer from.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

3. Thanks given for this post:

IanF (10-Sep-09)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    According to this table which is a few years old but probably still works, road traffic deaths are number 9 on the scale, one better than diarrhea diseases which is what it would appear this person suffer from.
    Marq
    Is that keyboard diarrhoea, that comment tickled me, thanks for the laugh.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Ah

This was not a first person reference point but a first post reference point to to the originator of BS being the head of the Road Traffic Management Corporation.
    Hey - do you know if there is a Road Pedestrian Management Corporation?
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    Hey - do you know if there is a Road Pedestrian Management Corporation?
    Probably not. And why?

Not enough money in it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am going to inform you why the K53 is not working. First of if the driver is drunk like they are on almost any given weekend then they will not be able to apply the K53. Secondly I recommend that they actually try and find criminals rather than writing out ridicules speed-fines they will not only find stolen cars but cars with false registration numbers.

In short, if the traffic cops shows an interest in fighting crime you will see that the K53 is effective and people will use it if they are not drunk or doped!

Secondly a simple check on a roadblock will capture half of the criminals using illegal number-plates. So basically all they have to do is their jobs and these systems will prove effective! But no they will sit around and pull you over for doing 75 kilometres per hour in a 70 kilometres per hour zone!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    But no they will sit around and pull you over for doing 75 kilometres per hour in a 70 kilometres per hour zone!
    But isn't that the problem? They seem to be doing everything they can not to pull people over.

There seems to be two parts to the problem.

First is an over-engineered driving test that doesn't reflect natural, safe driving. This encourages the notion that you just drive that way for the test and can disregard it after that, rather than a realistic test of competence in a style that can be continued for the rest of one's driving life. Now I'm saying this never having done the K53, but I'm watching my daughter as she is being trained to pass this test, and at times I just shake my head.

(In fact, it's her neck I'm worried about - this "looking over your shoulder" every now and then just sommer would have me off to the chiropractor in no time.)

Second is the nature of enforcement. Photo trapping is encouraging false number plates. Invisible policing isn't slowing people down. Just not enough physical presence to make an impact.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I had to do my learners about 5 times and my license about 5 times before I got it. The fact is they fail you on BS. And it cost me my job back then.

I had a sweet deal being an administrator for 3 mining groups the pay was beautiful but I lost it because a traffic officer thought that he will use his power to fail me just because he could. The sad thing is I can prove this because two other officers took note of the happenings of that day and they complained on my behalf.

The head at the time just gave me an apology, but the damage was done and I lost my job and up to now I am a bloody contractor running around for table scraps! Thanks for that!

The second time I failed because a stone hit my windscreen on my way to the testing grounds, the third time was my fault “Forgot to put in the new licence disk”

Forth time my power-steering failed and it was just impossible to drive. The fifth time I GOT IT! Yes my driving was adequate and the traffic person told me that I only made a single mistake! not bad

So yes, I do think a better system that is not open to abuse can and will improve the system

Thanks
    Second is the nature of enforcement. Photo trapping is encouraging false number plates. Invisible policing isn't slowing people down. Just not enough physical presence to make an impact.
    Agree 100%
    This has been tried in the UK and has been proved that it does not work, the only solution is visible law enforcment.
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
    Business isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Marine Aquariums SA

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I do feel they can make the maximum speed 160 kilometres per hour. Really if youre car can do it and you move faster why not? Accidents happen because we have to share the roads with trucks, potholes, drunk drivers and invisible cops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast