'NOBODY APPLIES IT - IT'S AN INEFFECTIVE SYSTEM'

A new system must be found to replace the "ineffective" K53 driving test, according to the head of the Road Traffic Management Corporation.

He also said nearly a half-million vehicles on South African roads had false number plates - effectively trashing the concept of "prosecution by camera".

How can a magistrate find an accused guilty of speeding when the only evidence is a photograph of a number plate on the offending car?

Ranthoko Rakgoale told parliament's portfolio committee on transport that "nobody really applied" the techniques taught by the K53 system
'When you drive, you don't do all those things' - Ranthoko Rakgoale

"We are subjecting people to something we don't even monitor. This is an ineffective system."

Rakgoale said an effective solution needed to be found to reduce South Africa's high rate of road deaths. An RTMC report said there were 12 011 road deaths in South Africa in 2007, 12 456 the previous year and 14 920 in 2006.

About 7000 road users were disabled and 40 000 were seriously injured on the roads each year.

The World Bank has said that, should nothing effective be done, crashes would become the second-largest cause of deaths in South Africa by 2020.

Rakgoale also told the committee that high numbers of South African vehicles had false number plates.

"You find that this number plate does not belong to a Mercedes, but to a Toyota," he said
Half-million cars on SA roads have false plates
"That is the reality in this country."

According to the latest data from the RTMC, the number of unlicensed vehicles on the roads increased to 428 537 in 2007 compared to 345 341 in 2006. - Sapa

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?...751&fSetId=381

" I spent most of my money on Bikes , Booze + Babes , The rest I waisted "

Live fast, die young and have a good corpse -- James Dean