Have you tried to register a “pay-as-you-go” SIM card for internet at Vodacom lately? I don’t see the use of selling SIM cards anymore because you cannot get them activated over the phone anymore.

At this point after you spend your humble R5 on a starter-pack you end up with a lot more then what you hoped. I was told that you have to go to a mobile or a “Vodacare” shop to register your SIM? So it is pointless to buy one at a petrol station. Then you need your ID book, proof of residence and a few other things. The point is you might as well go for a contract at this stage.

In the end I have to give a complete stranger ALL my information just to get a “pay-as-you-go” SIM card activated. I can really see a problem with this...

So I took the Vodacom SIM and put it away. I have a contract phone it is just Virgin gave me connection problems as always and I thought just get a Vodacom SIM to send your e-mails. But NO sorry you can’t do that anymore apparently it will take them up to 2 days to activate the SIM for internet use.