Quote Originally Posted by mahoonas View Post
As for the design fee, 50% upfront is reasonable but 100% is not. I have met people whom paid a fat wad of cash for a website and got nothing in return- the designer just disappeared. Would you pay a builder in full before he started?
Sorry I slightly misread or rather misinterpreted your post. I agree about paying the full fee upfront though and would never expect a client to pay the full fee up front.

As for the designing, I've also seen some pretty shocking sites from people who call themselves web designers in my local town. Still using old outdated design methods and they are pretty much one man shows or freelancers.

I would say it all depends on the department in a big company like telkom. If they're trying to just milk people for more money and get a bunch of unskilled people doing the design, then you'll end up with bad designs, but people will still go to them because they're a big reputable () company.

So on that front I would agree, first do some research and look through some portfolios before deciding on a designer.

I guess you've earned your right to generalize a bit as a designer.

Sorry for derailing the thread!