Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its now safe to turn off your computer

Thanks

Its now safe to turn off your computer

Could someone please tell me why i'm getting the following message when i shut down or hibernate:
    "Its now safe to turn off your computer"
    I've changed my motherboard from the Foxconn 45gms to the Foxconn G31MX.

Is there a BIOS setting to turn it off or is it windows nagging?
    I was quite cos the last time i saw it was with Win 98.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    hope this helps

otherwise take a look around your bios for advanced power settings.

Thanks
    Oh well, looks like i'll have to format it and reinstall. It seems to be the only way.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Suspended
    Thanks
    Sorry for ignoring your post. But I have little to go on. What type of PSU are you using? Is it connected to the UPS? Formatting your system might help but I rather just do a reinstall and keep all your stuff but again. I don’t think it is the main board is the problem I think there might be a driver problem or just a corrupted DLL that forces to see your PSU to ignore the command line thus you get the safe to switch of your system error before your system such itself off. DELL actually has a setting that forces the computer to switch of manually. So take a look at your power setting under your BIOS. Sometimes it just need a restore session to fix the DLL’s But right now I am grasping at straws...

Thanks
    Its a 360W PSU, the same i used with my 45gms mobo. I've been through the bios but theres nothing that i could find that would make a difference. I've even changed the registry but it didn't help.

Suspended
    Thanks
    what OS are you using?

Thanks
    Win XP Service Pack 2. After i did the swap, it worked fine and i rebooted about three times because of chipset drivers as well as printers and so forth. All went well and i continued to work on it the rest of the day and it was only when i switched everything off at the end of the day that the "safe to turn off" appeared. I guess if you simply restart it doesn't need to show the "safe to turn off" screen since its not completely off.

come Monday i'll order another HDD. A format & reinstallation of XP seems the only easy solution to this. The link twinscythe12332 provided would probably work. but i'd rather format & reinstall.

At first i thought its the motherboard, i'm glad its just windows throwing a fit.

Suspended
    Thanks
    A format might do the trick and it is always better to back everything up anyway so I will not intervene. However If I may I suggest to update your antivirus, and do a scan of your system before you back up and do the format. Infected backup is about as useful as silicon breast implant on a zombie... Anyway good luck with your system.

Thanks
    have you taken a look at the power management configs? go to screensaver take a look at the "change power settings" or similar. there are a few advanced options that sometimes change when changing components.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by insulin View Post
    Infected backup is about as useful as silicon breast implant on a zombie.
    Thanx i'll keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    have you taken a look at the power management configs? go to screensaver take a look at the "change power settings" or similar. there are a few advanced options that sometimes change when changing components.
    Can't find it. I know where it should be, but its not there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast