Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what is then that motivates?

Thanks

So what is then that motivates?

So recently discussed, performance contracts, whilst necessary, don't motivate. They are just a method of control more than anything else.

One thing i have noticed is money seldom motivates. Funny as it sounds people will often do a better level of work for a certificate than they will money. Personally it's money however on one occasion as a motivator, i offered a leather chair to the best performer of the month. This worked a treat! Everyone fought for the right to have the use a of exec chair for the month. Even putting 20K on the table wouldn't have had as good effect.

Feel free to pass some suggestions on... ! I'm also keen to know what it is that motivates -(although i know it is often very personal to an individual) but there must be some good broad spectrum ideas
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Taking the time to listen.
    A hearty greeting each morning.
    Recognition of achievements - congratulations on a job well done.
    Including staff in planning and goal setting.

As you said - it's personal.

Get personal.
    Last edited by Dave A; 09-Mar-09 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks
    I cannot agree more. People need acknowledgement.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    An occassional cake and some coffee
    Time off
    Recognition, recognition, recognition
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

5. Thanks given for this post:

Graeme (11-Mar-09)

Thanks
    As I think I have mentioned in the past - what it is about in the end is raising the employee's level of self-esteem; the "recognition" that Debbie writes about. Good leaders throughout the past centuries have understood this. Works with groups as well as individuals.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    So how do you inject this into a system that lives on bureaucratic red tape?

Thanks
    Acknowledgment works, no doubt... Also watch out for systems, we had a very simple "hurdle" recently created, to do with bank loans etc. Agents just quit performing and i was really battling to get them up again. It turns out that this little "hurdle" in there opinion created an enviro where it was simply not worth creating business if they had to go through this. Turned around overnight by my assuring that regardless of how, I would ensure the paper work went straight to the top. (a big ask for various reasons) Everyone back into production, overnight! They didn't even know they were being effected by it so nevere communicated it to me

bureaucratic red tape
    - I assume you referring to government type agency etc. I don't think its just about acknowledgment and how to, why is there any need for that when there is no accountability. "Leaders" don't need to motivate there staff as they are not accountable. Make them accountable, we will start to get good leaders that will motivate by general good leadership.
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm definitely thinking of government type setups. They've become so procedure driven, ostensibly because this is supposed to ensure performance, but the proof is in the pudding and it's not tasting so good.

Thanks
    All government employees report to someone. It is (or certainly should be) part of the supervisor's job to see that they are working honestly and competently, and if they are, to make it plain that is what is wanted and to raise their self-esteem a little. The real problems are with those who do not or will not respond and are unable to be disciplined because of labour law restrictions. Always worked well for me, although I would hate to be a supervisor in today's labour environment.

Thanks
    Active supervision . Setting a sens of urgency . Lead by example . Pat on the back low enough and hard enough . Remove negative influences ( people ) .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast