Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help With Overclocking

Thanks

Lightbulb Need Help With Overclocking

I'm new to overclocking and since i recently upgraded from my E4500 to a E8500 i decided to try overclocking my old chip.
    If i somehow make a huge blunder and fry it then its fine since it would end up stored away until i stumble upon it someday and by then it would be useless anyway.

Now i know there's a whole bunch of you who can't wait to tell me i should rather have bought a quad core. Shuddup. I bought this one coz it suited my budget.

So i've got a chip to fry but only one motherboard so i'm not going bananas and screw the whole thing up and preferably not the motherboard. I don't want to fry the cpu intentionally, just see how much juice i can squeeze out of it, but if it ends up dead i won't cry.

So i've got the following:
    Foxconn 45CM-S
    Intel Core2Duo E4500
    2 x 1GB Hynix DDR2 667mhz
    500GB HDD
    360W PSU

So since im new to all this i wanted to start small and only increased the cpu clock from 200 to 220. I've read on the web that you don't need to bother with voltages if it not past 3.2Ghz. Since the 20mhz change i made would be a overall change of only 0.220ghz i decided to leave the voltages alone for now.

Problem is no matter what i do or change in the bios once it restarted there is no change. First i thought i didn't save the changes in the BIOS but i've done it over 8 times now, every time either hitting F10 but still, nothing. It's still on 2.2Ghz.

Could someone please inform me on what i did wrong, or forgot to do?

I've tried this with ratio free enabled and disabled, used Fox Intelligent Stepping 1, 2 and 3. as well as several more variations on this.

So please send some hints this way before i loose my cool and send it flying.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Did you get a program on the motherboard CD called Fox one or something that sounded like tuner or overclocker.

The problem you're experiencing apparently is a problem with the MB itself. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186127
    once there was a man. the end.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Loman (04-Mar-09)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loman View Post
    Now i know there's a whole bunch of you who can't wait to tell me i should rather have bought a quad core. Shuddup. I bought this one coz it suited my budget.
    nah, I'd commend you on it. rather stick to the budget than go into the realm of the debt.

sounds like 3x-a-d3-u5 has the problem identified, but doesn't look like there's much on the fix side.

so I'm just gonna shoot a few random sites I find and see if we can't find a fix.
    overclock modifiers greyed out is for the X not S though

and... hell, that's it 0_o.

on my side though, check if there need to be any jumper changes to allow overclocking, maybe run through the bios and see if there any options like a hidden "allow changes to system FSB, because we're anal about this", that sort of stuff. read the manual till familiar with the product enough to be able to kak out whoever sold it to you so you can get another board. after all, if you can change settings and it just says FU, it's not your fault. Although now that I think about it, could you honestly walk into a store and say "hi, my system won't overclock"

Thanks
    Thanx 3x-a-d3-u5. It seems to be working. The cd that came with the board had fox one in the setup menu but couldn't locate it on the disc
    Luckily i had another disc from an older board. It works fine, but i'll see what it does after i restart. It would be useless if i need to do this every time i restart my pc.
    Either way this was only experimental. Thanx
    Maybe i should get a better board if i want to do the same for my new cpu.

I"ve managed to get hold of a couple of linux cd's called: SUSE; Fedora; Mandriva. Are they any good? Or should i just chuck them in the bin?
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    if I remember correctly, those are the hardcore linux versions. I'd suggest something more along the lines of ubuntu/kubuntu. also, linux is, to put it bluntly, an internet whore. if you don't got the internet, she not going to love you looooong time. if you do have the internet though, first suggestions are to search for a program called WINE (it allows you to run windows executables) through the app-get. it'll probably also want you to get a few compilers as well (linux and open source basically mean the same thing, so if you don't enjoy app-get, I hope you know how to enjoy compiling source and modifying permissions).

Thanks
    I've got a question about the fan speed and temp in FOX One. How reliable are they?
    I've increased the mhz in cpu control with 30 but the temp didn't go up. Its still 22 - 24 degrees. If i go over 240 i get a blue screen and it restarts. Its not the typical BSOD. Its like a sky blue. Weird. And when it restarts its back at 200. But i guess the error caused it to use the default settings. I've customized the temp of the CPU so it'll give an alarm when the cpu temp is over 50.

I don't need to bother with voltage or ram frequencies yet, do I? I don't want to get a new cooler nor do i wan't to mess with voltages or ram. Not yet at least.

Thanks
    normally the bluescreen will give some sort of indication as to why it occured. maybe you just pushed the chip further than it was willing to go. next time you get the blue screen, take down whatever info you can, and research it through google. there is bound to be someone who used a reference to that particular bluescreen info at some time. you could play with the cas latency on your ram, but I wouldn't say you need to. if you can change the cpu and ram values using a linked system, that's normally a pretty good bet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    if you don't got the internet, she not going to love you looooong time.
    Yesterday my connection was between 0.1 - 0.8 kbps.
    I should be able to sue vodacom for making me pay for their crappy service provision.
    In the beginning of 2008 my connection was about 20kbps. Now i can only connect to the internet about 20 days a month.

Telkom is even worse. My line has been down for well over two months now.
    I've stopped paying them, what are they gonna do? Cut off my line.

Thanx for the info on the discs. I don't want an OS thats giving me hassles (partly the reason why i'm still on XP) so i might as well chuck the cd's in the bin.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loman View Post
    Yesterday my connection was between 0.1 - 0.8 kbps.
    I should be able to sue vodacom for making me pay for their crappy service provision.
    In the beginning of 2008 my connection was about 20kbps. Now i can only connect to the internet about 20 days a month.

Telkom is even worse. My line has been down for well over two months now.
    I've stopped paying them, what are they gonna do? Cut off my line.

Thanx for the info on the discs. I don't want an OS thats giving me hassles (partly the reason why i'm still on XP) so i might as well chuck the cd's in the bin.
    no worries, and I'd say keep them. ubuntu is effectively a more heavyweight "windows competitor wannabe." more on resources, prettier interface, that sort of stuff. BUT, if one day you find yourself doing awesomely and need to set up a server to handle files and maybe the odd prog, you could go with SUSE or the likes. Then again, I tend to hang onto stuff for too long. I've still got a copy of toxic bunny and descent 2 somewhere. and a floppy of blackstar if I'm not mistaken 0_o

Suspended
    Thanks

Talking First of I love your attitude towards Telkom.

Secondly Over-clocking is based on trial and error. I burned out a couple of computers in my time so it is safe to say that over-clocking comes at a price “and an expensive one at that” Anyway. Before you start to over-clock, check that your computer’s PSU is 400 Watts or better. Secondly get some extra fans in your box and if possible get a heat-sink on your Ram. Upgrade your CPU heat-sink-fan to something that can handle the extra heat. Now the reason behind most blue screens is the fact that over clocking will force your CPU to make mistakes that is why over clocking is almost never stable!! Almost, you do get lucky from time to time. My advice is always this: If you want to over-clock, just get a bigger CPU... Trust me! The damage you do to your system is not worth it in the end of the day. I know that I do sound lazy to you. Put the truth is over-clocking is not the way to go if you want stable performance and flawless game experience. I mean do you really want to play a game and in the middle of it you get a sudden re-boot?

12. Thanks given for this post:

Loman (06-Mar-09)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.