Thread: Single phase and 3 phase testing course

Silver Member
    Thanks

Single phase and 3 phase testing course

So this is my situation. I am a U.K. trained and experienced electrician/engineer of 10 years. I have had my UK electrical qualifications accessed by SAQA, well my lowest qualifcation City and Guilds 236 Pt1, pt 2 counts for nothing apparently but anyway they equated it to a N3 Electrical engineering. Fine.

It took me a while to find out where and how to do the Wiring regulations Course(SANS 10142) which is what I,m doing now. I understand i need to do this, there are some differences with the UK and SA systems and rules and regs.(not that those regs appear to be followed as far as i have seen so far, but thats another story)

I want to be able to sign of my own work, so now I am looking to do my single phase and 3 phase testing course. I have done plenty of inspecting and testing in the UK, I even supervised the rewiring the Megger/AVO production area, stores and calibration area and tested it, if I'm good enough for Megger......

The places i found on the internet never reply to my emails and when i phone them up.... Don't get me started on that, i spent over 120 rand on phone calls yesturday trying to make enquires as to when they run the courses and how much etc.
    Only one company had the info needed and knew what i was talking about (P and T if your interested in doing the course and want to save some money on phone calls) but they are not running the courses again until May.

Does anyone know other place where this course can be done sooner?
    Any other advice on how i can get up and running, its frustrating not being able to do a job which i have been doing for 10 years.

Oh, and the trade test, I,m booked on it(sometime between now and september 20101!) but every guy i have met so far who has there trade test has had very little electrical ability but is very good a memorising the tasks you do in the trade test and replicating them with absolutley no understaning of what they are doing.

Quote :"Eish it is easy, you just remember which pins to link out and the motor, its starts"

I'm not to fussed about doing the trade test.

Any advice on getting started or on where i can do the testing courses would be much appreciated.

By the way based in Jo'burg, but will travel if need be. Desperate to get started.
    Many thanks, skatingsparks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is quite a list of Energy SETA accredited training providers here. Happily you're not in Kwazulu Natal which is notable by its absence in that list.

You could be wanting to start this course at an awkward time in the "traditional" academic cycle. I understand the impatience to get going, but May isn't that far off. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to work for a company for a little while either - just to get a little exposure to how things are being done in SA at the moment.

Although it sounds like you're getting quite a lot of exposure to some aspects of that already

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I worked at the Airport for 18 long weeks, it was a misserable job. There was a similar project in the UK at Heathrow, there were 70 electricians, here we had 3 electricians and about 15 "definately not electricians" doing a larger project.

The other problem is getting a job, now i don't expect english wages but i would rather stay at home than work for what iave been offered. Employers would rather pay an unskilled person 10-15 rand an hour than an electrican.

I'll find something eventually. Networking.....

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Don't worry about an answer to this thread, I,m going home.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.