Thread: They Came, They showed, I said, "No."

Thanks

They Came, They showed, I said, "No."

Over the last ten days I had quite an interesting experience and it hasn't been my first. It has happened on 4 different occasions over the last eight years or so.

Thursday(2-10-2008) I had a telephone call from a Zakhi, asking if he could meet with me and discuss some business. Not wanting to let any business slip by I arranged to meet him at the local M&B. After the normal pleasantries, we got down to discussing what he wanted. Five minutes of talking to him, I got the impression that he was fishing, not sure for what, but he was fishing. Another five minutes passed and the 'meeting' was over. He even left me footing the bill, without making any offer to pay.

Tuesday (7-10-2008), I receive a call from Brain, says he would like to discuss a business proposal. This time they (Brian and his brother) suggested, if we could at the O.R. Tambo Southern Sun Hotel. They were coming from Vereeniging and were on there way to Pretoria. We decided on Thursay(9-10-2008).

"Strange," I thought, "Zakhi also mentioned that he came from Vereeniging." I couldn't understand how my number had 'traveled' so far.

I met with Brian and his brother, Parents (Yes, that's his name) and asked how they came across my number. They said that someone who they knew, knew me and recommended me. Pressing them, they said Johan Kruger. Mmmm, can't recall anyone by that name. They even gave me a number to phone to confirm the recommendee. I said that I would do it later.

They asked me about franchising, what type of businesses I sold, commission structure, etc. They tell me that they are from Botswana and were looking for an agent to represent them here in SA, as their current SA partner had died of cancer. I asked who the partner was, they said he was a doctor from Pretoria North and were on their way to finalise things with the estate.

Fifteen minutes later this meeting was finished, and I walked away not understanding exactly, what they wanted from me. But we left with the understanding that they would call on Friday, to set up a meeting for Tuesday (14-10-2008).

By now the warning signals had started to ring. In fact they started going off when I walked out of the Hotel, but I was intrigued. What was there next move.

Friday, 10-10-2008, early afternoon I receive a call from Brian asking if we could move the meeting to Saturday morning, 11-10-2008 and meet at McDonald's Greystone Drive. No problem, I say.

I arrive and Parents is waiting, but no Brian, Parents tells me that Brian is in Pretoria and that he will catch up with us later. Now he tells me that we have to go and meet Mr Pierre at Melrose Arches.
    "Who is Mr Pierre?" I ask.
    "He was the person that the Dr was dealing with." Parents informs me. "How many people are involved in all of this ?" I thought.

We arrive at Melrose Arches, and I meet the whole crew, bar Brian.

They tell me that they have a variety of leather products and semiprecious stones to sell and show me a formal "Bill of Entry," which is made out on a plane white piece of paper. with an official RSA stamp. No other markings indicating that's an official document, looking very formal the way it was presented. In the bottom right hand corner there is a barcode that was illegible. I asked if it was an original, no they say it's a copy, but the signature, I could see was done in a thin line black pen. I don't press the issue any further.

They then tell me that their goods are stored in a warehouse in Isando, but to show good faith they have four Tanzanite stones, they will let me have two. Parents say that fine, but first we must get it valued, and we must go to my "office," to discuss the matter.

Suddenly Mr Pierre said, "What the matter? You don't look confident about the deal? You got your hand over your mouth." I become very away of my body language, and it was sending out all the "wrong" signals.

I casually looked at him and said, "I am not in the business of buying commodities and reselling them. If you want me to sell the stones then give them to me and I will sell them, take my cut and pay you what's due."

Parents steps in, and said, "Mr Pierre there seems to be some sort of misunderstanding. Let me and Vincent go away and discuss this matter and we'll get back to you."

We get up and leave and Parents asks, "What's the matter?"
    I turn to him and say, "If you ever set me up for a con again I'll call the cops (not the right thing to say, but said). You tried to set me up for a con, but you guys weren't too sophisticated. The previous guys were a lot better than you."

Parents doesn't say a word and we walk quietly back to my car, which is parked in the basement and Parents decides not to get a lift back to McDonald's. I think he got shaky when I mentioned the cops.

I realised that I was being set up, the minute I met the two brother. Their modus operandi was similar to my other experiences. So guys please be careful, If the deal is too good to be true it probably is...

They lurk among us...
    Vincent Marino
    Maximising the sales value of your business!

Business 24-Seven |MyBlog Twitter |facebook |Phat feesh & chips

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One for the scam forum?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    One for the scam forum?
    Wasn't too sure were to place it, maybe it should be there...
    Vincent Marino

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll move it now. Just glad something didn't go wrong and you're OK. There have been those arrests for kidnapping attempts to do with the property for sale scam of late.

Doesn't this stuff shake you up at all?

Suspended
    Thanks
    i have had a similar experience twice...the first time as i got a call to meet someone...setup a meeting at the royal hotel...i thought at time cool must be big bussiness meeting at the royal...got all excited i thought it would be a chance for me to make some good money quickly...got the whole con story about bringing container loads of goods into the country which they would sell...then buy motor vehicle spares and ship it back to their country...they would leave a vehicle at my premises for me to use if i wanted...where it got strange was when he told me they would need to stay at my house with my family while visiting the country and i would be rewarded for it...there would be no risk for me because the money would be paid into my account and spares purchased from my account...the other strange thing was when i got to the royal he asked me to move the meeting to another venue and give him a lift hah i thought that strange.

well after the meeting i got hold of a mate of mine who advised me that it was a scam...so the next time he called we set up a meeting i made sure i had enough backup just in case knowing the fella would change the venue again and would require a lift i had people follow me in another vehicle...i never got harrassed by that person again.

i was advised to be extremely careful of these people because they are dangerous and they move all the time...they never give a fixed address or telephone numbers to contact them...and their names are just an alias...the bonus is no trace back to you.

the second scam we i went with the same people...i had to think of my family safety...just remeber they know everything about you and you know absolutely nothing about them.

apparently it is a means of getting out of paying taxes duties etc and you will take the fall...beware of these people.

would you be able to recognise any of them...do you know where they operate from...do you know if they have any form of identification...do you even know which country they are from?

my advise is make sure you take someone with you but dont let them know there is someone with you and get the person to take photos of them...and whatever you do dont transport them in your vehicle especially if you are alone...in fact dont let them see the vehicle you are driving because if they do and they dont have all your personal details they could get it from the registration number within minutes.

Thanks
    I had the exact same experience last year. They tried to scam me out of R260,000 for some rubies. Exact same bs. Leather products etc. I was seriously pissed of with them.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks

greed, dishonesty, vanity,honesty, compassion, naïve

One thing I would like to point out is; if you thing it's a scam, please don't follow through, (things can get nasty), or if you feel uneasy about the 'meeting', take someone along. Normally this throws a spanner in the works and they usually have some sort of excuse to cut the meeting short.

"All scams exploit human weaknesses like greed, dishonesty, vanity, but also virtues like honesty, compassion, or a naïve expectation of good faith on the part of the con artist."

Vincent Marino