Thread: Pastel reconciling itself

Email problem
    Thanks

Pastel reconciling itself

Hi there, everybody

I'm new on this forum, so please bear with me if I do thing wrong.

I am actually posting on my wife's behalf due to her circumstances at work and her inability to post herself.

She is working on Pastel Partner 2007 (build 9.3.1). Apparently somebody copied this Pastel over from another computer to hers shortly before she started working there. Even though it is illegal, her bosses gave the the go ahead for her to work on this computer.

She has experienced difficulties in reconciling her accounts from the very beginning, but couldn't figure out what it was.
    That is, until she brought her computer home and asked me to help her. I read to her what was on her lists, and she ticked it off on the computer. Then we realized that the program reconciles itself. This sounded weird to me, so double checked it and again the program did the same thing.

Then she got the bloke from Pastel to come and check out what the problem was. He saw that it was an illegal copy and suggested they get a new one. Then he changed his story and said they could only get a license for this copy and keep on using it. Something smells fishy to me about this guy.

Now her bosses says she doesn't know what she is doing. She has approximately 12 years experience on Pastel in these specific fields working for auditors and private companies. She knows what she is doing.

Has anybody experienced similar problems?
    Please guys, she can't afford to loose her job. What must she look out for?

I would really appreciate all the help we can get.
    Last edited by paulnel; 10-Sep-08 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulnel View Post
    said they could only get a license for this copy and keep on using it.
    Correct - you can.
    She has experienced difficulties in reconciling her accounts from the very beginning, but couldn't figure out what it was.
    Possibly a corrupt database. My experience of balancing problems was while I was chairman of an industry association. We had to call in a Pastel support expert to repair the db. I was told it had something to do with untidy exits, power dips and that sort of thing.

This was in Pretoria and the telephone book was full of options, and I don't know where you are.

Have you tried contacting Pastel directly?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi DaveA, Thanks for replying.

She wants to contact Pastel directly, but her superiors doesn't want that because the license isn't in place yet.
    I have been looking around on the Internet and saw that Softline Pastel, SA is launching "GoToAssist" (http://it-online.co.za/content/view/414085/86/), which is a product from Citrix Systems that allows a contact centre agent to see what's happening on a customer's screen, and remotely resolve the problem.
    I will give her the details and then we'll see what pops up.

I'll keep you posted.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Curious to know if you sorted out the problem.

A bookkeeper once requested that we change to Pastel, she too was very experienced with Pastel.
    After all the work of taking on quite a large set of books, when she tried to do the bank reconciliation there was some error, but I cannot recall exactly what it was.

Pastel advised that we would have to pay for a consultation and I refused to do that on a brand new program, as this was a software error, not an error made by our bookkeeper.

Out went Pastel!

Some unwanted advice- suggest your wife seeks other employment.

A company that uses illegal copies of something as cheap as Pastel, is unlikely to be a good employer.

Yvonne

Thanks
    I'm inclined to agree Yvonne, companies that are sponsoring piracy won't be around for long