Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Competence.

Thanks

Competence.

Extract for Dave A's article on Competence:
    The shortage that I think our nation is suffering from is far more sinister, debilitating and generally bad for medium to long term prospects than something as relatively uncomplicated as money. What we are desperately short of is competence. And it's starting to cost us dear.
    Discuss this article here.
    Last edited by I Robot; 25-Nov-06 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks
    I really enjoyed the article and decided to Digg It

If you want to expose this to millions of people get over there and Digg It right now! Let me know if you can't figure out how to
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I struggled to find it until I used the search tool with keyword competence.

Interesting site!

Thanks
    I don't know about Digg - but this needs to get to our masters of rhetoric.

Is rhetoric a buzzword?

Thanks
    Use this link to get straight through to it - come on let's see if we can Digg it enough to push it onto the landing pages!

http://digg.com/search?s=organizational+competence

Just click on the "digg it" link (just below the digg counter). You'll be presented with the option to login or register. Follow the registration process and viola!

Guy Kawasaki had a post on his blog about using Digg to generate traffic. The post can be found here, http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2006/09/..._use_digg.html

Here’s a good example. This is my traffic log for the first few weeks of September. The spike of 37,366 page views on September 8th is purely because a blog posting appeared on the home page of Digg.
    Sorry if I'm derailing this thread!!

You can also add "Digg this!" links to your site/blog/articles etc. As on Guy's blog. Seems like a good way to try to get some exposure - I'll be trying to set this up with my next blog posting and see what the results are.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks

Poor Charlie's Almanack

I have been reading an instructive book called 'Poor Charlie's Almanack' written by Charlie Munger Vice-Chair of Berkshire. The book is filled with straight, down-the-line workable methodologies. ( I hate rambling tomes of unworkable theories, written by some professor who's only seen the end of his nose - never mind life in a company!)

Competence is a critical factor in Mr Munger's book and he berates those that love shoddiness.

The competent person feels at total peace. They know how to get the thing done - correctly and intelligently. Nice place to be I should think!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The competent person feels at total peace.
    So you are saying a competent person is the one that's high on dope.

They know how to get the thing done - correctly and intelligently.
    Good one, then the rest of humanity, 99.99999% of us, who learn through our mistakes and succeed at failure, including Henry Ford & Thomas Edison are incompetent - great news, now I've just learned that we're all the same, except of course for the "competent people" who don't make 10,000 mistake and invent a light bulb!

eish....or as my daughter would say "joooo"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Eish... Be gentle on the noobs

Although I'd hesitate to agree that competence necessarily brings a sense of peace. I've seen perfectly competent people stressed out of their minds.

There's no stress in not giving a damn...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    There's no stress in not giving a damn...
    I also like competence but you have to balance your expectations.

Also known as a 'low f^@k it threshold'
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am >>>

Competence, the quality of being adequately or well qualified physically and intellectually? No... Sorry a piece of paper cannot tell you if someone is qualified physically and intellectually. See today we have thousands of courses and the trick is you can go and do them but if you don’t use the information as in everyday you forget. “This has happened to me”

So a course will set you back R8000 for 7 days of training??? A certificate will set you back R16500 and you will only have the basics and 3 weeks behind your name. If you go to job-mail you will see experience requirements range from 2 to 5 years “active” experience... If nobody takes you on then how are you suppose to get that experience?

Back in 1965 to 1980 “give or take” Eskom used to run programs where a person with standard 6 could get training and on job training and the results was properly trained people that could do their jobs blindfolded. Today you need N3 to get you in and then you need a bunch of other stuff, not to mention that minorities cannot get in at Eskom at all.

So the mining industry train people but again the minimum is N2 and you must pass or you get kicked out. As an Apprentice you are not allowed overtime, union protection and you MUST pass every subject or face termination. Also you get paid almost nothing... You can’t even afford the books you need.

Honestly the problem is the requirements part of a job. Now again back in 1965 to 1980 “give or take” the military had little requirements and produced some of the best qualified people we have ever seen. Fact our qualifications were so high that other countries had to take note...

Today those systems are dead because of money... Fact businesses will soon pay massif amounts of money for “imported” skill and engineers wile our own people slips down the drain into a world of poverty and crime. In truth what else is left? Nothing...

If you lower the requirements and facilitate people to grow in your company you will have a loyal employees and you will have competent employees. But the truth is government made this a impossibility.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

11. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (13-Sep-10)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast