Thread: Commercial Arts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Commercial Arts?

Hi there

Can anyone tell me what is considered as COMMERCIAL ARTS by SARS?

The reason I ask this:

Special rates of tax apply to small business corporations (SBC's)
    The allowances do not included 'personal services'

Such as :
    accounting, actuarial science, architecture, autioneering, auditing, broadcasting, broking, commercial arts, consulting, draftmanship, education, engineering, entertainment, health, information technology, journalism, law, management, performing arts, real estate, research, secretarial services, sport, surveying, translation, valuation, veterinary science.

'Commercial arts' is such a broad term - but what is it in terms of SARS?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. This document talks about potential problems, but basically reports they couldn't find any practice notes on it.

Just a thought though - there is also the bit about 4 employees who also perform the function if your activity is a bit close:
    ...which is performed personally by any person who holds an interest in the company or close corporation AND that company or CC does not throughout the year of assessment employee at least four full-time employees (other than any employee who is a shareholder of the company or member of the close corporation, or is a connected person in relation to a shareholder or member) who on a full-time basis engaged in the business of that company or CC of rendering that service".

3. Thanks given for this post:

Jaded (11-Jun-08)

Thanks

Thanks Dave...

This is all so complicated! It presents a fine line between what I do or not do for my clients. Yes, I perform a service for my clients - but there would be absolutely no point if there was not an end 'product' . whether it be a book or booklet or DVD. That is what my client is buying from me and to make the ;product' more interesting and targeted to the market it has to be designed to start with?

Thanks

Is it just me...

That I am just not getting all this??
    I am striving to SIMPLIFY my life and all this just crowds in and sets me back a pace or two!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ask for a tax directive from SARS. Give details of what you do and get the answer in writing.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it though if you don't qualify. Those tax breaks have specific purposes - generally to assist small business in building employment. You might not meet the criteria now, but you can get there.

I get irritated about missing out on that incentive too. But I'm not closing down any of the businesses or taking ownership out of trusts just to get the tax break. Just one of the hills to climb on the road to a great future.