I am at a point where I need to figure out how to get more exposure for what I am offering. I'm going to quickly go through what I am offering, and then how I am currently marketing my business.
I offer electronic design to help people turn ideas into products. There are a couple of different sources of ideas,
- Inventors have a new idea which they want to turn into a real product.
- People see gaps in the market which they want to develop products for (this may not be a new invention, but furthers, or improves on something currently in the market)
- Companies need to solve an problem and don't have the skills (or possibly resources) to create a solution.
What I then offer is to take that idea/concept/problem and create a solution or product to fulfil their need. The process can be quite lengthy and complicated - it depends on the idea/problem. For example, I am currently working on a project which will improve the speed and reliability of pickers in a warehouse. The company I am doing it for had an idea on how to improve picking, but needed someone to implement the electronic design, and that is what I am doing (unfortunately can't go into the exact details at this time).
I've gotten better at understanding the process, and am now offering a package which covers the first step of this. I take the idea/problem/concept and do a preliminary investigation into how it can be solved, and put down some of my own concepts about creating a solution for the client. This is the very beginning step, and provides info for further down the line. It also provides the client with info as to the viability of the idea, and affords them the opportunity to evaluate the path forward.
I would really like to be doing more of those investigations and reports, as they funnel directly into further business. I also think they provide quite a bit of value at a low cost. That report is what I want to focus my marketing on.
Currently I am marketing through a couple of channels,
- My website (which needs work in my opinion)
- My blog, which has been working well as a way of introducing myself and my ideas to people.
- My network. I phone, visit, leave comments on other people's blogs and try my best to keep contact with as many people as I can. My network is slowly growing. So far this has been my most effective marketing channel.
- The Forum SA. This platform is not directed at marketing myself, but it provides exposure through my signature and introducing me to various new people.
- My Genius. I have a profile up, which has put me in contact with some interesting people. I've started trying to use this platform more to gain some extra exposure (only over the last few days though).
What I am trying to figure out is what other channels I can employ which will be effective in yielding suitable prospects. What ideas do you guys have for me? Where can I market that exposes me to the right need? How else do I get people to know about me and what I can offer?