Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ALEX - The New Frontier!

Suspended
    Thanks

ALEX - The New Frontier!

It is with sadness I note the violence and xenophobia in Alexandra Township being reported in our media here in the UK. I remember being foreign once in RSA.

Owing to my professional connections I did not get to mingle much with other Black people. Yet one could hear the muted conversations in the corridors and shebeens whenever someone different yet physiologically similar presented themselves. I felt it in Vosloorus, Soweto, Mandeni, Emalahleni etc!

My children are SA-born of a South African mother and even they did not escape name-calling from even their grand parents. All because of me and my origins! I thank them!

But none asked the right questions so my story is still untold. So is that of many others. Some come out of necessity, others to perpetrate their crooked trades! One brush paints ALL?

Place me then Oh South Africa. A mere 200 years ago my paternal great-grandfather was esteemed on a par with Shaka. Still is! His aspirations (wrong or right) re-shaped Transvaal, Limpopo and a more than fair share of Southern Africa. My maternal grandside has white and Zimbabwean blood running through it. Am I that foreign? If we were to go by the pre-colonial rules - would not I own a large chunk of South Africa now? But it is daft. That day is gone! Africa runs the HIGH risk of missing the boat of the New World Order by ignoring the very attributes that made us people - UBUNTU!

I feel safe. I live in England! But what of that poor neighbour of yours? Is it an action arising from the educated musings and mutterings of the No Crisis man!

2. Thank given for this post:

Chatmaster (16-May-08), Dave A (14-May-08)

Thanks
    Dr
    This isn't quite the quote I was looking for but it will do, "I never look back, I look forward" from Steffi Graf.
    I just wish that all African leaders would look towards the great future we could have here, rather than trying to redress the past sins by whomever they look at.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really loved the "educated musings and mutterings of the No Crisis man!" Full marks.

The Alex xenophobia violence must be a huge disappointment to many of us. But I think we should recognise we are not alone. Where recently did we have similar violence in Europe about North African immigrants? France, was it?

Who has been watching the Indian Premier League T20 Tournament? What a fantastic series, and not just for the cricket. The clearly visible sense of comraderie amongst the top players from so many different nations who are playing together is incredible. You can't help but be moved.

A lesson for the world.

Suspended
    Thanks
    There is an inherent beauty in the human that we usually fail to exercise. For me it may be due to twee words like LOVE, LIKE, GOOD, NICE etc! Oh yes they are nice to hear. But that may also be the only sense engaged!

I think the world is at a stage where we are constantly discovering each other. Different places, different people. I chose hope in the face of impossibilities. So do many of us here. Thank you for not being offended by the diversion.

Someone said ' For evil to prevail it takes good men doing nothing'. Doing is not just active engagement of the issue. Action may be TO listen, look, note, teach our children OR...

Sometimes when things change too quickly or change at all, there will always be others who cannot adjust as fast. So instead of trying to understand the problem with a view to solution they choose instinct. (Typical fight or flight syndrome!).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr KGNKhumalo View Post
    It is with sadness I note the violence and xenophobia in Alexandra Township being reported in our media here in the UK.
    I wonder what is driving this violence. The news report last night indicated that the locals seem to think that crime is being perpetrated by the foreigners, and that is the reason to drive them out. There were plenty of unhappy locals saying that they will continue to chase them out.

Why do we all seem to believe that it is the foreigners who are responsible for a lot of crime in SA? (the poor Nigerians seem to get blamed for everything.....)
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Suspended
    Thanks
    There is an element of truth in the allegation. There are criminals under the cover of asylum. Without better knowledge of the foreigners it is not easy for the local people to discern. So they blame everyone. Forgive me but I think the Nigerians' reputation precedes them everywhere. Rightly or wrongly!

But it would be wrong to attribute all crime to illegals or foreigners. I wish the locals would extend the eviction of criminals to their own brothers too!

My late business partner was Asian and he would not let me do any business with his own people! That nearly gave me a negative opinion but I went ahead anyway.

As goes with xenophobia! All the BAD will be blamed on the foreign!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As I've been watching the news reports on this develop I've been getting more and more confused. Is it xenophobia or is it hooliganism?
    The Cabinet condemned the attacks in the "strongest possible terms" and called on communities to be vigilant and avoid being manipulated by provocateurs who seek to exploit people's fears and concerns, Maseko said.

"These attacks represent a dangerous tendency that is foreign to South African history and consciousness."

They appear to be instigated by elements bent on taking advantage of the genuine fears of communities for narrow political ends.

However, no amount of economic hardship and discontent can ever justify the criminal activity and bigotry these attacks represent, and any suggestion that poor service delivery and rising cost of living are to blame should be rejected with the contempt it deserves, he (Themba Maseko) said.
    from M&G here
    I see some irony in an ANC gov statement warning against "elements bent on taking advantage of the genuine fears of communities for narrow political ends," but maybe another day. So it's xenophobia then, at least in Alex.

But what about Diepkloof? From the same story:
    Meanwhile, the outbreak of violence in Diepsloot is not due to xenophobia, but some residents "behaving like hooligans", a local African National Congress (ANC) representative said on Thursday.

"Xenophobia is no longer the issue here, this is pure hooliganism together with criminal elements," said Chris Vondo, ANC secretary at Zone 14 in Diepsloot, north-west of Johannesburg.

He said that groups of people had been looting and breaking down spaza shops -- mostly belonging to Somalis -- as well as barricading roads, despite a heavy police presence.

"People are even drunk now; they are not saying anything about foreigners being in the area, because this is no longer the problem. It's just unruly and destructive behaviour," he said.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's getting worse and it's spreading.
    As a fresh wave of severe xenophobic violence gripped Johannesburg on Sunday, with five people killed in the Cleveland area, hundreds fleeing to the safety of police stations and shops in the CBD looted, President Thabo Mbeki announced that a panel had been set up to look into the attacks.

Speaking in Pretoria, African National Congress (ANC) president Jacob Zuma also condemned the attacks on foreigners, as Johannesburg metro police warned people to avoid dangerous CBD areas.

Five people were killed and 50 more were injured on Sunday when attacks spread to Cleveland and later to Jeppestown and surrounds, Johannesburg police said.

By Sunday evening, several shops in the CBD had been looted, Mail & Guardian reporters said, with burglar bars pulled down, doors smashed and merchandise stolen. There were also reports of foreigners being attacked as they stepped off trains at Park station.
    full story from M&G here
    I wonder if that panel is one of those deals like the crime panel that has two years to come up with answers

Thanks
    Today's Fact-a-day:

Two thirds of South Africans agree with the statement 'Most of the problems in South Africa are caused by illegal immigrants / foreigners.' (FutureFact 2006)
    And yet the government thinks that there is some sinister force behind the attacks? Two thirds is a huge (and frightening) number. When will we as people of this country take responsibility for our current plight?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think at the back of the mind is a thought as to who might be the next target for blame.

Is it as simple as frustration being expressed, though?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.