Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crap websites should be BANNED from the internet!!!

Thanks

crap websites should be BANNED from the internet!!!

This irretates me the most, crap / aweful / ugly websites.

Browsing through the list of ISP's on the hellkom website looking for something specific, I found at least 20% broken / blocked / "access denied" links, and a further 30% super-pathetic websites!

Have you seen how many sites are there with crap website. I mean, who in their right minds put a PDF on the internet and think it's a website? Or put all their products & services in a PDF document?
    Even worse are those sites which look like some kinder garden websites, but they try and sell professional services? And my favourate of all time, a bank who wants to sell ISP services??? FNB is now officially an ISP as well, selling broadband services. Common people, stick to what you do best, and keep your info on topic.

And please DELETE the funky javascript effects, irretating music, and funky flash animations. You waste internet bandwidth, and loose customers. TEST your websites in ALL 5 popular web browsers, Internet Explorer (YES, it is a web browser), Firefox, Opera, Safari, and Netscape.

P.S. If you recentyl discover Microsoft Frontpage Homesite, or even Microsoft Publisher on a CD, then you should switch off your PC right now, and toss it in the bin. Frontpage, Homesite, MS Publisher (especially) and such programs are NOT good web development programs. Nor is Word or Powerpoint.

And if you recently learned a few kewl JAVA / JS tricks, you should be banned from the internet as well.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    Lol, I really hope you feel better now
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatmaster View Post
    Lol, I really hope you feel better now
    almost ......

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder

Softdux, just bear in mind that for some the mere act of publishing on the internet is an achievement. I remember the first time I actually managed to get a web page up - I felt like I was on top of the world. I do cringe a little when I look at it nowadays though

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux View Post
    FNB is now officially an ISP as well, selling broadband services. Common people, stick to what you do best, and keep your info on topic.

This seems to be the latest trend "multiple streams of income" Some more examples the Pizza shop around the corner sent waitress to sell me a generator and said I don't need a big one as my shop is small! I just took the flyer and binned it after she left. Her pizzas are great. Now every TDH wants to be a print broker. I got an enquiry to print 5 million A4 sheets. This should be done by a web printer with massive presses and will sell for less than what I can buy the paper. So it goes.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    My first website I designed was 1996, I used Powerpoint 95. I was really proud of myself for doing it. Now I do not mention that I did webdesign since 1996, because the first proper website I designed, using FrontPage 98 was in 1998. Format of your code back then didn't really matter so the site well, so FrontPage was good for it's purpose.

What gets to me though is the large corporate companies that has poor websites and the "fly by night" web designers that are selling their FrontPage template sites to businesses.

SEO is also being ripped apart in the same way. So here is a list that makes me put brandy in my coffee.
    • Advertising agencies that sells the service of SEO, but when you read the detail they are actually meaning search engine advertising.
    • Newbie SEO's that promotes reciprical linking.
    • Newbie SEO's that actually thinks PR is an indication of how good you are at SEO.
    • People that think Alexa rank is a good indication of how much traffic a site gets.
    • Hosting companies that doesn't know how to do a 301 redirect on a non-www domain.
    • Newbie internet marketers that thinks SEO is everything and the only online marketing strategy that is required to make a website accomplish large amounts of traffic.

I am currently in the process of 'Attempting' standardizing Internet Marketing strategies within SA and hopefully later globally, that will include the standards of web design. If it will work is another story, but it has to happen. I am not talking about W3C, I am talking about a body where people have to register and comply to certain standards before they can offer web services in SA. This is long overdue imo
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder

Softdux, just bear in mind that for some the mere act of publishing on the internet is an achievement. I remember the first time I actually managed to get a web page up - I felt like I was on top of the world. I do cringe a little when I look at it nowadays though
    That's very true, Dave. But when it comes to a business related site (I'm not aiming at the "Me and my dog", or "our family vacation in singapore" type websites), then one has to at LEAST try and keep it clean and to the point. There's this one "business" website filled with champaign bubbles and cocktail glasses, glitter, (badly done) dancing can-can girls, and a LOT of half broken javascript effects. Will you host your company's website with such a company?

Would you invest your business into something that looks like it's run by a 15year old?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatmaster View Post
    So here is a list that makes me put brandy in my coffee.

Would you invest your business into something that looks like it's run by a 15year old?
    If I was selling to 15 year olds - Quite possibly Yes

This is a really interesting thread.

Thanks
    Even then, you still need to target the parents, since they are the ones who pay the bills

Thanks
    Even then, you still need to target the parents, since they are the ones who pay the bills
    Just a thought - paying the bills and doing the buying are not necessarily the same thing.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast