Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: geyser timer???or not

Thanks
    A few years ago I couldn't figure out why my hot water always seemed short. Turns out that all the pretty new taps installed in the house were the hot water theives. These are the models that have a single handle to select cold/hot mix. Everyone left it in the middle, so every time a tap was opened, hot water was running.

I went to each tap and installed the little half turn valves underneath and now leave the hot water to these closed, wife happy she has pretty taps, me happy cos no hot water running when used. If we need to use hot water, then it is quite simple just to turn the valve on per tap, use and then turn off again.

My solar panel started leaking about 5 months back and without money to replace, I had to bypass and started using a timer about 3 months back. With a 150l and only turning on for 2 x 1hr periods per day (@70 degrees) I am saving 4kW/day vs No timer and set at 40 degrees.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kleva View Post
    Turns out that all the pretty new taps installed in the house were the hot water theives. These are the models that have a single handle to select cold/hot mix. Everyone left it in the middle, so every time a tap was opened, hot water was running.
    Never really thought about this because we don't have them (all the my house are home built and fairly basic). I could see it might be a common problem though as people would tend to leave them in the middle position where everything's symmetrical and they look the prettiest. Maybe you could re-align the handle on the splined shaft so the centre position is actually cold water on full and you would need to swing the handle sideways to get any hot water at all.

3. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (16-Sep-16), wynn (30-Apr-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It has been my experience that whenever you touch the warm water tap it starts up the geyser. Now my geyser is also set on high. Now I turn it off and only turn it on for about 4 hours a day I have saved a lot of money. My next step is an insulation blanket for the geyser hoping that within the 4 hours of use it will not lose as much heat as it does now. Yes my water stays warm for longer than 15 hours but still I think there is room for more improvement.

If I may, do this experiment, turn of your main water supply open a cold water tap and drain any existing water. Close the tap and flash your toilet. Now I have found in my home that after flashing the toilet it will actually somehow take water from the geyser!!! Now that was a gobsmack!!! So I figured out how plumbing works and fixed the problem myself. I used to use a "professional" plumber but they never even figured that this can happen…
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The geyser in line should be fitted with a non return valve to prevent what you described
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

6. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (27-Apr-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    The geyser in line should be fitted with a non return valve to prevent what you described
    It has one now yes.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Our estate gets hit by a high demand charge in the first half hour after a power outage/loadshed. So we need a geyser timer that will delay switch on after power has been restored. Is anything like that available?

Email problem
    Thanks
    you can get a delay on timer and connect it with a contactor. the timing range can be set.

Thanks
    so this would be a separate unit that would sit between the mains supply and the geyser controller?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chariot View Post
    so this would be a separate unit that would sit between the mains supply and the geyser controller?
    Yes, it would. Could be mounted at/in the DB or at the geyser itself.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456