Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Mugabe's problem?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

What is Mugabe's problem?

I know we are a South African site and I've avoided getting sucked into Zimbabwe issues, but this is ridiculous.

Who has ever heard of holding an election but there is no requirement to declare the result? What the heck is the purpose of holding elections in the first place?

So what if he lost the election. He's 84 for goodness sake. He should be looking to retire and enjoy his loot.

What is Robert Mugabe's problem?

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    It could be that he will stand trial for crime against humanity and that has to be avoided.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    South African President Thabo Mbeki said on Saturday there was "no crisis" in Zimbabwe after holding his first face-to-face talks with Robert Mugabe since the country's disputed March 29 elections.

Mbeki, who stopped in Harare on his way to join southern African leaders in Zambia for an emergency meeting on Zimbabwe, said people should wait for the election commission to announce the long-awaited presidential result.

"There has been a natural process taking place and we are all awaiting the ZEC (Zimbabwe Electoral Commission) to announce the results and there is also the matter of the court case," he said, referring to an opposition legal bid to force the result.

"The body authorised to release the results is the ZEC, let's wait for them to announce the results," Mbeki said.

As president of the regional power South Africa, Mbeki has come under fire for his muted response to the situation in Zimbabwe where two weeks after the presidential election no result has yet been announced.
    full story from IOL here
    Just to point out, Mr. President, that the ZEC counting process ended a week ago.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The SADC leaders seem happy with the way Thabo is going about things.
    Regional leaders called on South African President Thabo Mbeki to continue his mission as chief mediator between Zimbabwe's ruling party and the opposition following recent disputed elections.

"The summit congratulated and thanked the SADC facilitator, President Mbeki and his facilitation team for the role they had played in helping to contribute to the successful holding of election," a joint statement said.

"Summit requested president Mbeki to continue in his role as facilitator on Zimbabwe on the outstanding issue," said the statement issued at the conclusion of a summit of the 14-nation Southern African Development Community.
    from IOL here
    The outstanding issue being...?

Thanks
    I think our president lives in some other dimension, never mind another planet, where the roads are paved with gold, the trees lined with silver and the rivers flowing with the abundance of life - where there is no crisis.

...or maybe he is trying to learn from Mad Bob on how to run a country effectively, for the benefit of a few.
    Last edited by Vincent; 13-Apr-08 at 05:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    Vincent Marino
    Maximising the sales value of your business!

Business 24-Seven |MyBlog Twitter |facebook |Phat feesh & chips

Thanks
    Thabo Mbeki is what I like to call a perception manager. He manage to convince people that he has leadership qualities, however he lacks the true nature of a leader, being a leader! Mmmmmmm that was a weird statement.... I guess I am saying that he has proven himself once more for being unable to handle criminals and people unable to do their job. He fired the Deputy Minister of health for doing her job, but are unable to act when he faces true challenges (ESKOM, Crime, AIDS etc.). He simply is a weak leader with the ability to manage perception, in my opinion
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks

Mugabe

A recent article by Peter Osborne, writing in The Spectator is about the best summing up of the situation in Zimbabwe that I have come across so far:

“…………… Basically, President Mugabe has only three options, and time is running out very fast indeed.
    The first of these is to mount a coup d’etat, (this was written before the decision to re-count votes in certain areas) the solution which is preferred by Mugabe’s inner circle. Significantly, it seems to be favoured by General Constantine Chiwenga, commander in chief of the armed forces, and by Air Force Marshall Perence Shiri, Mugabe’s blood relation and close ally.
    It must be borne in mind that senior figures such as these do not merely stand to lose power if Mugabe loses, they also face the prospect of being brought to justice for the crimes of the Mugabe regime. It was Perence Shiri, for instance, who led the North Korean-trained Fifth Brigades in the Matabeleland genocide of the early 1980’s.
    The problem with the idea of a coup d’etat (or vote revision) is not really the international condemnation that would inevitably result. The Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) might not like it, but under the prostrate guidance of Thabo Mbeki it would never lift a finger.
    The true problem is different: there are real reasons to doubt whether commanders like Shiri (whose Chinese Mig fighters were buzzing low over Bulawayo in an act of naked intimidation when I was there two weeks ago) have the support of their troops. There is overwhelming anecdotal evidence that ordinary soldiers and policemen, even some members of the feared Central Intelligence Organisation, have turned against Mugabe. The director of intelligence, Happyton Bonyongwe, is said to be quietly supporting Tsvangirai.

Mugabe’s second option is to declare the recent elections null and order a re-run. There is striking evidence that that the President is preparing the way for this. He is already taking revenge, for example, on the hapless Zimbabwe Electoral Commission, several of whose members have been arrested over the last few days. In a marvellous irony, they are being accused of rigging the result against Zanu PF.
    If the President calls for a second election, it will be marked by all the intimidation and horror which was to a certain extent lacking on 29 March. Mugabe’s Green Bombers, his licensed torturers and murderers who bear close resemblance to Hitler’s Brownshirts, are already off the leash.

Finally, Mugabe could stand down. Here one key ingredient would be a guarantee that he - and the scores of murderers and torturers who are linked to him - can live the rest of their lives in the peace and tranquillity they have denied so many others. Granting Mugabe immunity from prosecution is hard to engineer and would be unpalatable for some. Others may judge it well worthwhile.

Meanwhile everyone waits for the old man’s next move. I am told by a friend who runs one of Zimbabwe’s very few remaining factories that the mood amongst the workforce has changed very sharply over the last 48 hours. Hope has turned to bemusement and then - on Tuesday morning - to a silent pervasive sense of terror, as if something horrible might be just about to happen.”

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Now who ever heard of a recount being called without the result of the first count being announced?

If those first results reflected that a run-off was due, I can't see any reason why the results should not be published. There can be only one reason - Morgan Tsvangirai did, indeed, get more than 50% of the Presidential vote and the run-off would no longer be an option.

Thanks
    I think this image from Zapiro explains it all.

Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I see even Zapiro is struggling to get any satirical humour into the subject.

Jacob Zuma sure seems to be talking tough on the subject.
    African National Congress (ANC) president Jacob Zuma said on Tuesday Africa must send a mission to Zimbabwe to end a delay in issuing election results, which he called unacceptable.

In his toughest comments yet on the three-week delay in announcing results of a presidential vote, Zuma said: "It's not acceptable. It's not helping the Zimbabwean people who have gone out to ... elect the kind of party and presidential candidate they want, exercising their constitutional right."
    from M&G article here
    You know what gets me - I can't think of a single redeeming feature of Mugabe's Presidency of late. If he was doing anything good for the country I might understand why he is fighting the result. But right now the best thing he can do for Zimbabwe is bow out, and he can't find it within himself to give his country even that one mercy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast