Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Online marketing

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RKS Computer Solutions View Post
    For those of you interested in free open-source software that won't cost you a dime and will be up and running in 5 minutes, have a look at PHPlist
    You're kidding, right. 5 minutes!! You're way better at working that monster than I am.

Maybe a basic text message... On a server without emails per hour limits, and without paying due regard to spam filter triggers.

It's fairly powerful but in my opinion slightly less than entirely intuitive.

Thanks
    I would agree with dave, it took me about 1.5 hours to get my list up and running, and I still need to do somethings on it to make it more for the site.

I think what Riaan (RKS) meant was the installation, with "fantastico" it takes about 5 min to install, to set up is totally something else
    Last edited by stephanfx; 01-May-07 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the support there, Stephan. For a moment there I thought it was just me. It is quite useable, just kinda.... messy.

Thanks
    No problem, Dave. I have been using it for a while now, and the thing is just to get it used to where everything is and where to get things done. After that, it is , like you said, quite useable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Txico View Post
    Thanks for the plug Dave.

I run workshops on Internet Marketing all over the show. Basically a 3 hour crash course on setting up a business online and getting customers. I'm currently in Johannesburg running a workshop tomorrow morning.

Online Marketing is a bit of an Art Skill, especially since the laws in SA are completely different to the laws in the US or EU - so I'd rather not venture into posting stuff here that could be badly extrapolated. Perhaps if you have some specific questions I could answer?

Also, are you selling a product or service online? Who is your target market? Are you geographically bound in your business? What is your online marketing budget?

T
    What do you charge for these workshops, and what other workshops do you offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy_inc View Post
    How can one get revenue out of your website/forum. And what is the best way to go about it txico?

What are the usual costs for a banner on a main page? Are they diff costs and how much diff if they are on a seperate page?
    How many visitors do you need to get to price your advertising right to the advertisors etc.

Thanks
    Banner ads, google ads, Affiliate programs, & lastly membership.

You need to have something which will "make" users want to come to your site, and then you need to have something to keep them there. Once accomplished, it's easy to offer banner advertising. Using something like phpAdsNew / OpenAds, you could have your own banners, and charge people for it. Using google on the other hand has it's own Pro's & Con's, among other it has the advantage that Google takes care of getting advertisers through their own network, and they manage the payments as well.
    Memberships need to offer something extra, something that other places (forums, websites, blogs, etc) don't have

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I've been tinkering with a PHP powered mailing list program. It seems pretty powerful, but does need some understanding of cascading style Sheets and is not that user-friendly for the novice. Still haven't got it totally right yet but it looks like it will do the job.

So many things on the to-do list and so little time. But we'll get there eventually.
    phpList is quite powerfull and very easy to use once you understand the logic behind it. The beaty about it is, that you could add extra fields (for example address, birthday, age group, sex, etc), and work with that data as well

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux View Post
    What do you charge for these workshops, and what other workshops do you offer?
    Have a look at www.webexposure.co.za for Tony's product.
    Last edited by duncan drennan; 14-May-07 at 11:37 AM.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    His marketing seminar information is over here, www.marketingworkshop.co.za
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I find the problem with mail marketing if you do it yourself is this;
    you slap something together even though you dont know and fully comprehend the product, that is all good and fine but how many clients have you just lost face with cause its not correctly sent or it drops into their spam filters etc.

My advice is to get a person that knows the product to help you with the first send at least. That way you will know things will work and they will be going through to the people without issues of spam or being viewed as a amature send.

Just my 2c
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    I know that phpList mails almost always end up in the spam/junk folder, it is because of the protocal usedd. The other thing that might cause this is being on a shared server where the ip of the server is blocked. The work around is to say on the sign up page that the confirmation might be in the spam/junk mail folder.

I agree with snoopy though in the fact that someone should help you in the first send or two, even if it is just for the design of the newsletter to come across more professionally.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanfx View Post
    I know that phpList mails almost always end up in the spam/junk folder, it is because of the protocal usedd. The other thing that might cause this is being on a shared server where the ip of the server is blocked. The work around is to say on the sign up page that the confirmation might be in the spam/junk mail folder.
    I don't think this is a problem with phplist, alone. A lot of other mailing list script does the same. A lot can be contibuted to the content of the mailing list being created & sent.

* Stuff like, is the bounce / return email the same as the sender's email. A small & common mistake, but could add to the spam scores
    * HTML content, even thought it's nice, and a LOT of people WILL tell you that you absolutely need it, contributes towards spam scoring. Why? Cause of broken code & inline images (most of the time), which is commonly used by spammers, and thus gets flagged.
    * some words used too often in the mailing list, even though it sounds innocent, could flag a spam socre as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.