Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SA programmers and web coders too expensive

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

SA programmers and web coders too expensive

Yes, I realise that I'll probably get a host of hate mail via PM, but just hear me out :

A few months back, I wanted a special software utility - nothing fancy, and only a few hours work for a good coder ( I know this with programming experience ).

The best price I could get locally was R12,500

Then I discovered rentacoder.com ( no, I do not get referral commissions )

On this site, I can find a web coder, html / php / mySQL/etc, a programmer that works in C++, VB, Java, Flash, etc, etc, or I can get a copywriter to write text for web pages, etc.

How does it work ? Simple - you deposit funds into your account ( pay via credit card or paypal ), then you write the specs of the job you want doing and post it as a "Bid Request".

RentAcoder ( RAC ) then list it on their site, and coders from all over the world come and post a "bid" to your project. You select a coder, set a deadline ( a full refund to you if the specs are not met by the deadline ) and away you go.

I have been using RAC for over a year, worked with coders from all over the globe ( India, USA, UK, Indonesia, Australia and more ).

Is it better ? Well, you remember that R12,500 utility I wanted ? I got that done for $65 in 2 days flat.

Another example ( punting my own sites now, if I am allowed in context ), is www.autobodyratings.co.za -- complete web site ( start to finish ) with database integration, and the copy text for the front page -- $135.

Now tell me why we should be ripped off locally. If I am going to use local, it has to compete with the service and cost that I can get in the international market.

OK. Fire away while I duck .....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    Y
    Another example ( punting my own sites now, if I am allowed in context ), is www.autobodyratings.co.za -- complete web site ( start to finish ) with database integration, and the copy text for the front page -- $135.
    Dave
    Good concept but not good to view in firefox. Will the $135 cover fixing this? I do not know how to do websites so this is a layman's view.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Dave
    Good concept but not good to view in firefox. Will the $135 cover fixing this?
    Yes, it probably will as I have just given the same coder ( somewhere in India ), another 2 projects. A quick chat with him ( I think it's a 'him' ) on MSN should get it done in a few days.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    I wouldn't say you get ripped off locally, you just got a better deal from a designer in India. the costing will be calculated very different. My company would have charged you a little bit less than 12k for the site but it would have been utilizing a CMS and would have been Search Engine friendly and fully optimized with ASP and SQL database. I would get a lot of clients from Europe and the US at that price.

India has been shacking up IT costing globally for the past year or 2 because they are able to go very low with their prices.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Maybe we need a local site that lists the local developers - something like the RentAcoder site, so it's easier to shop around for prices.

That R12,500 utility I wanted, and eventually got for $65, was actually coded in the USA. Yes, I agree about India - I have had a few really cheap prices from that area of the globe, but if they can deliver the specs that I gave, then why not use them ?

Overall, I have done 100+ projects through RAC and stopped asking locals to quote after the first 10.

Thanks
    I know of a few companies locally that actually make use of RAC to do their web designs and then charge local fees for it. It is cheaper and safer than to employ locally.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Auto body ratings looks like it is done with a CMS I think - Joomla or something similar.

Skin it, pop in some plug-ins. Done.

Now it's the hard yards - content! And I have no doubt this is where Chatmaster is worth his price tag. Especially if you're looking for something in sync with the SA psyche and the major search engines.

Thanks
    Well, since it is a non-profit Public Service web site, hopefully readers here will promote the site to friends as well.

I'll post a bid on RAC for SEO work on the site and see what it's going to cost.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    I'll post a bid on RAC for SEO work on the site and see what it's going to cost.
    That should be interesting. The really fun part will be evaluating the bids, though.

Thanks
    OK. I have just posted the bid request. I'll give you feedback when done.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.