Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logged Out

Thanks

Logged Out

For the first time since I joined this forum, I logged out today. (I wanted to send the front page to a friend). He joined MyGenius, but deleted his portfolio, after receiving about '100' emails welcoming him and all trying to 'sell' him something. Also he prefers something more structured. So hopefully we'll see him on TFSA shortly.

The front page of TFSA I found very interesting. It's to the point, tells you what TFSA is about, it's commitment to SMEs and how possibly it may help. To all the guest browsing, I would certainly recommend that you join. It's well worth the fee. Sometime the best things in life aren't for free, but for once this axiom isn't true.

To Dave and everyone else that looks after this forum, I would like to say a BIG THANK-YOU. To all that contribute regularly, thanks I enjoy the debates.
    Vincent Marino
    Maximising the sales value of your business!

Business 24-Seven |MyBlog Twitter |facebook |Phat feesh & chips

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    It's well worth the fee.
    That's not difficult! Tell you what - Let's up the ante.

If you don't think you got your money's worth after 30 days, I'll refund double the membership fees you've paid to join - no questions asked
    To Dave and everyone else that looks after this forum, I would like to say a BIG THANK-YOU. To all that contribute regularly, thanks I enjoy the debates.
    Thanks Vincent. Everyone who has ever made a post deserves credit for what is available on this site - and that includes you.

Onwards and upwards.

Thanks

Smile

He joined MyGenius, but deleted his portfolio, after receiving about '100' emails welcoming him and all trying to 'sell' him something. Also he prefers something more structured. So hopefully we'll see him on TFSA shortly.
    Vincent
    As you know I am also on MyGenuis and only got 3 welcoming mails so wow have the spammers now climbed into MyGenuis? I have picked up some business from that site so I am happy with it.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Ian, as you know I'm a paying member of MyGenius and I have nothing against the site. When I joined, I probably had about 50 emails over a period of 4 days all welcoming me. There were a lot less members in those days. I know that just after the upgrade, when we were allowed to delete out incoming messages, I had close to 400 messages. It's not the first of my friends that have deleted there profile after the first day or so - all citing the same problem, too many emails.

With MyGenius growing at a reasonably fast rate, the growth will become an exponential growth, the proliferation of "welcoming emails," is going to grow as well.

But to make things fair I will make a post on MyGenius with regards to the welcoming emails.
    Vincent Marino
    Maximising the sales value of your business!

Business 24-Seven |MyBlog Twitter |facebook |Phat feesh & chips

Thanks
    Well, I just registered, lets see how it goes...
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    I think one of the key things is that they send a LOT of emails by default.

You get an email each time someone just LOOKS at your profile. As soon as I turned that off it was much more manageable. The site lacks some easy info on how to set up everything and add people to your network. It is all there, but you do have to scratch around a bit.

It seems to be a good place to put up a profile, as people are actively searching for South African's who can help them. Unfortunately (as with all things internet) there are also quite a few people doing unfocussed marketing.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    By the looks of it, you can modify settings that you do not receive private messages or profile visit notifications. So far it is pretty much standard. I am leaving the settings as is for now to see what will happen.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What is iffy.
    I really don't like the software that My Genius runs on. That blog system is a very cumbersome way to communicate to a group.
    • You don't get a preview so the title of the blog is your only guide
    • The blogs aren't categorised
    • You don't know if the content of a blog has been updated since you last looked at it once it has dropped off the home page
    • There isn't a WYSIWYG editor - you format stuff with HTML code

I'd go about their privacy setup slightly differently, mainly to make things a little clearer as to what ends up as search engine indexed content and what doesn't.

I did find it odd that they get content indexed but if you happen to deep link to any of the content (which is against the conditions of use without written permission), a non-member following the link would end up with the "not-logged-in" home page. If you don't allow for organic links, you're unlikely to make a SERP result on a word or phrase worth much. So why get it indexed in the first place

What is good.
    I've found the people at My Genius very pleasant and there is a healthy community feel with lots of sharp people who know what they're talking about. I've enjoyed the short time I've been a member and will continue to participate and try to add value where I can.

Also, I've come across a lot of familiar friends I'd lost contact with. That has been very pleasant.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatmaster View Post
    Well, I just registered, lets see how it goes...
    So Chatmaster what spam have you got so far.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Honestly, so far i haven't received any spam. Just allot of notifications of people reading my profile. But zero spam. I received 2 messages from people welcoming me and nothing more. I will check again on Monday, maybe Fridays is quiet time for them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast