Thread: How to...

Diamond Member
    Thanks

How to...

All the smart business people on this forum...I need to figue out how to get this idea from my garage to selling worldwide...with the funding required.

One thing I do know...I can't do it on my own...I am going to have to let go a bit.

This is an example of one on the many products I have built..

I believe there is a HUGE market for these products...worldwide.

But I need to find the right people to setup a website...market the product worldwide...and generate the sales...I also need financial backing to invest in a cnc router...laser cutter...to cut shapes...brand the product and custom cut outs...but more important to also believe we can achieve it.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    What exactly is it Ian? I'm guessing a stand or rack for something.

Have you tried selling them at local outlets or markets to gauge the saleability of them? How many have you sold so far? Have you got a website?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    i tried a few second hand local fishing sites and facebook sites...got over 11 000 hits on one of the pics posted...i have sold all the stock i had...now i am thinking about where to from here.

I havent setup a website yet...but i am considering it.

i have a lot of ideas...like branding with company logos for example...personalizing the units with pictures. They are ideal gifts...had a few enquiries form women who want to get the hubby a present so he can tidy up his fishing rod space

I thought just for the hell of it i would setup a facebook page and see what happens... https://www.facebook.com/customrodracks.co.za/

lots of likes and I'll take one...even had a person request 10 in one order...then place another order for another 10 units...but hey that's facebook...i expected that kind of response.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post

Have you tried selling them at local outlets or markets to gauge the saleability of them? How many have you sold so far? Have you got a website?
    They were originally just fishing rod stands...but there have been enquiries for snooker and pool sticks...you could even stand gold clubs etc...just modify the shape a little and walla.

i have even built one to fit inside a broom cupboard attached to the door works to hold the mop broom etc

i have been building and selling them for a few years already...with lots of trial and error...now i have a ton of ideas and fast simple manufacturing system in place...but more important a simple DIY strip and assembly system in place.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    But I need to find the right people to setup a website...market the product worldwide...and generate the sales...I also need financial backing to invest in a cnc router...laser cutter...to cut shapes...brand the product and custom cut outs...but more important to also believe we can achieve it.
    A few thoughts (in no particular order):

1. Setting up a website

- You could do this yourself pretty easily with a platform like Wix and Wordpress.
    - Alternatively, contract a freelancer on Fiverr or Upwork to do it for you (shouldn't cost more than a few thousand rand).
    - SEDA might subsidise the cost of your website development, but applying for the funding is a very long process and not recommended (unless you need something very advanced and expensive).

2. Marketing worldwide

- Think global; act local (establish a small local market footprint first to validate demand potential, then think about conquering the world)
    - The DTI's Export Marketing & Investment Assistance Scheme can cover the cost of marketing your product at international tradeshows, etc.

3. Funding for machinery

- The DTI and DSBD manage non-repayable grant funding programs for these assets on a cost-share basis.
    - Preferential loans are also a possibility (and there are a bunch of government agencies and privately-managed enterprise & supplier development funds that offer them).

If I were you, I would use grant funding and/or preferential loans to fund additional growth where necessary. Once I had a stable market footprint, small production facility, and proven international demand, I would seek out an angel investor to fund the next growth phase. I would only consider venture capital funding much further down the line.

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

6. Thanks given for this post:

ians (10-Jul-17)

Thanks
    Have you considered sites like https://www.etsy.com/ which I believe has millions of users world wide? https://hellopretty.co.za/ is the SA version. Maybe even just as a marketing test. No need of your own website until you have a number of products to launch, although I would get one set up asap. If I remember correctly it is $0.2 to list a product on their site and a small commission on sales. They provide the payment gateways as well.

Thanks
    For funding you could perhaps try The Institute of Inventors and Innovators™ @ http://www.iii.org.za/pages/home/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post

They were originally just fishing rod stands...
    Duh... I'm at half speed today. I see it now that they're in the shape of a fish.

I'd be wary of investing in expensive machinery unless you're moving so many units that the logistics of outsourcing the cutting is becoming a problem. I'd also concentrate my focus primarily on growing the local market first before looking at becoming international.

The product itself wouldn't be worth trying to protect as IP so I'd probably look at steering it toward a niche market that's possibly more lucrative. Maybe look at manufacturing the product from interesting African woods and maybe making it from certified environmentally friendly sustainable materials would make it more appealing as a gift or for the corporate market.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What would I do?

If not already in manufacturing, I would approach someone who are manufacturing a variety of products such as towel rails, soap holders and bathroom equipment which is sold through hardware outlets etc. (or someone manufacturing fishing gear etc) This type of business already have a distribution network and it is much easier to piggyback on the expertise and infrastructure of someone already in the business.

This will allow you free time to market your product, attend trade shows, see potential new customers etc. You can sit back and collect royalties, maybe not as much as manufacturing and selling yourself, but with no overheads and little risk. If you are not yet in manufacturing, the set-up cost and learning curve may bankrupt you before you have even started.

If you are already in manufacturing, then do it yourself. Use different, interesting materials and engage the services of a good distributor or chain store etc as an outlet. Online sales may also work, but a good web developer is required to give you all the bells and whistles. Add other fishing gear to the site to make it more interesting and to give a wider product choice.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.