Thread: Motherboard Problem

Thanks

Question Motherboard Problem

Hi Folks,

I have been having a tad of trouble lately with my pc, here are the specs (I'm a layman, so its not perfect)

Case. Thermaltake Matrix
    PSU. Thermaltake 500W
    Cooling. Thermaltake 80mm x4 (case fans)
    Thermaltake supercool x1 (CPU)
    Thermaltake 60mm and 40mm (PSU)
    M/board. Asus p5n32-SLi SE Deluxe
    CPU. Intel Pentium D 3.4Ghz Dual
    RAM. Samsung DDR2, 667Mhz 2 x 1GB Dual (2048)
    Graphics. 2 x Gainward 7600GT 256MB Golden sample (SLi Linked)
    HDD. 2 x 250GB Seagate SATA2
    OS. Win XP Pro Ver. 9.00.2...
    everything is running as stock without overclocking.

The problem is that when I boot the system it runs the POST and starts to enter windows (xp initial screen with blue line). After this the screen goes black with the mouse arrow on screen and all activity ceases, power light stays on but HDD light shows no activity. Pressing reset button restarts the system and it enters windows normally as if there never was a problem. Also, when I run Supreme Commander, the game runs fine and then starts to get slow and choppy, after a few minutes the system freezes and I have to reach for the reset button again. Since yesterday, when I press the power button all the fans start up but nothing else happens, the power switch does not turn off the system and the reset button has no effect. I suspect the mainboard has a problem?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanx,

Dave
    Last edited by Dave S; 05-Oct-07 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hi Dave,

Sounds like a things you might want to check out...

First off, programs running fine and then suddenly starting to go slow, means either a virus or overheating... Running something like Supreme Commander would have a great affect on your graphics cards, so suggestion would be to pop out both your graphics cards and run one of them at a time, making sure they are seated properly... Test SC on one card, adjusting the settings to max, and see how it goes... If it runs fine for double or either tripple the time with the single card in, do the same with the other card...

**EDIT** Just read an interesting note regard a chap who had simular problems it seems, ends up he forgot to plug the dedicated power into the cards...

If both test out fine on their own, seat both cards in the machine, making sure of the connections and also the SLI bridge being seated properly... Before testing the heck out of it, pop on over to the nVidia Drivers Page for the card, and get the newest drivers. The page linked goes to the correct driver for Windows XP...

Update the drivers, go into the settings after the reboot and if it has a testing page, run the tests and make sure SLI is working... Reboot the machine again for a clean start and go see what happens with SC...

I know ATi with their Radeon products have a self-overclock component which actually stresses the GPU's and gets the max out of them, all the while showing what the temperatures are on the cores... You might want to have a look at that... If either one of the cards fail while testing, it might be the card that's gone, if they only fail when in SLi, might I suggest a fan directly above the two cards in order to get their temps down... Generally though, when a graphics card fails, it is either because of drivers or because of a failure of the chip itself instead of heat, GPU's are made to run hot...

Next point would be to do a general sweep of all the components on your motherboard, and making sure it is seated properly... pop everything out, (cpu not needed i reckon), and reseat it so that you are 100% sure they are properly seated...

I suspect it might be a seating problem, so give that a go and we will take it further from there... Many sites suggest that this might in fact be a power problem, but I've never seen hassles on the Thermaltake PSU's, so not to keen on that being the issue. If all else fails, and you have a spare PSU lying around or can borrow one from a friend, give it a go...

----

Point of interest... XP Pro v 9.00.2.000 is a scary thought, I'm running version 5.1.2600, and that is XP Pro Service Pack 2, newest Service Packs and all... if you click your start button, click run, type in "cmd" and press enter... When the window comes up, type in "ver" and press enter... Will show you the version you are running...

If all else fails, get back to me and we will take it from there...

All the best!

Riaan
    Last edited by RKS Computer Solutions; 06-Oct-07 at 11:23 AM. Reason: -- power cable note

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    just another quick one, doing a quick sweep through Google and finding results for "7600 problems", it seems there was an earlier driver issue, so be sure to run the newest drivers at all times. According to nVidia's driver page, the newest drivers fix problems with SLI found earlier...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RKS Computer Solutions View Post
    Hi Dave,

Sounds like a things you might want to check out...

First off, programs running fine and then suddenly starting to go slow, means either a virus or overheating... Running something like Supreme Commander would have a great affect on your graphics cards, so suggestion would be to pop out both your graphics cards and run one of them at a time, making sure they are seated properly... Test SC on one card, adjusting the settings to max, and see how it goes... If it runs fine for double or either tripple the time with the single card in, do the same with the other card...

**EDIT** Just read an interesting note regard a chap who had simular problems it seems, ends up he forgot to plug the dedicated power into the cards...

If both test out fine on their own, seat both cards in the machine, making sure of the connections and also the SLI bridge being seated properly... Before testing the heck out of it, pop on over to the nVidia Drivers Page for the card, and get the newest drivers. The page linked goes to the correct driver for Windows XP...

Update the drivers, go into the settings after the reboot and if it has a testing page, run the tests and make sure SLI is working... Reboot the machine again for a clean start and go see what happens with SC...

I know ATi with their Radeon products have a self-overclock component which actually stresses the GPU's and gets the max out of them, all the while showing what the temperatures are on the cores... You might want to have a look at that... If either one of the cards fail while testing, it might be the card that's gone, if they only fail when in SLi, might I suggest a fan directly above the two cards in order to get their temps down... Generally though, when a graphics card fails, it is either because of drivers or because of a failure of the chip itself instead of heat, GPU's are made to run hot...

Next point would be to do a general sweep of all the components on your motherboard, and making sure it is seated properly... pop everything out, (cpu not needed i reckon), and reseat it so that you are 100% sure they are properly seated...

I suspect it might be a seating problem, so give that a go and we will take it further from there... Many sites suggest that this might in fact be a power problem, but I've never seen hassles on the Thermaltake PSU's, so not to keen on that being the issue. If all else fails, and you have a spare PSU lying around or can borrow one from a friend, give it a go...

----

Point of interest... XP Pro v 9.00.2.000 is a scary thought, I'm running version 5.1.2600, and that is XP Pro Service Pack 2, newest Service Packs and all... if you click your start button, click run, type in "cmd" and press enter... When the window comes up, type in "ver" and press enter... Will show you the version you are running...

If all else fails, get back to me and we will take it from there...

All the best!

Riaan
    Hi Riaan,

I have tried to do all you ask, I stripped down the entire system and got rid of the dust, made sure of everything being properly seated, such as cards, etc. I switched-out the power supply with an older 400W I know was working fine, I'm still getting no pulse. All the fans start up but the M/board doesn't seem to have any power (little green LED doesn't go on) and the POST won't run.

BTW Windows ver 9.00.2...!!!??? what was I thinking, it's ver 5.1.2600 SP2, must have been smoking socks or something!

As I can't get the thing to boot I can't do anything else and my m/board is now also out of warranty. I'm taking the system into my supplier today to see if they can come up with a solution. BTW what's the warranty period on Asus P5N32-SLi Deluxe board? I bought it in Sept. 2006, I thought I heard a 2-year warranty applies, could be wrong though?

You also refer to a chap who forgot plugging dedicated power into cards? My 7600GT's don't have a dedicated supply point, but the old 6600GT's I sold did have this connector, I looked all over the cards, no such luxury? The SLi cable also seems to be able to go any way round... tried it both ways, no change.

I'll let you know the outcome from the supplier, thanx for your advice

Dave