Thread: Pastel partner 14 very slow over network

Gold Member
    Thanks

Pastel partner 14 very slow over network

This may be a bit technical for here, but on the off chance someone has a simple answer ....

Our pastel network currently has an old pc as the server and its pretty slow, however when generating reports or selecting from drop down lists it gets silly slow. I happened to have my resource monitor on and noticed that whenever I used their zoom facility to select from a history of invoices, it starts transferring data across our network at over 1Mbps. This however can go on for nearly 2 minutes. That is enough data for a 2min youtube video. We have about a thousand invoices in history, but surely it shouldn't have to draw so much data for what is not much more than a drop down box.

When manufacturing, its also painfully slow - unmanufacturing gives me enough time make a cup of coffee. The old server is not totally innocent, as it has its speed issues, but its not hanging or anything, its transferring data as quickly as it can. But that just seems like an unnecessarily large amount of data for a lookup. Do I have a setting wrong somewhere?

Thanks
    If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you purge all old document history from the database.

Pastel keeps all document history in perpetuity, by default, so that might be the cause of your slowness.

Go to Change...Delete History/Clear Files.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Hi Neville. What does it leave after you have deleted the history and cleared files? Just interested.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Hi Neville. What does it leave after you have deleted the history and cleared files? Just interested.
    Hi Mike,

This process only removes the documents from the system, not the ledger transactions, so there is no effect on any balances or ledger history. There is also the option to purge old Open Item history, but I normally don't purge that, because there is a possibility that some Open Item amounts could be outstanding for a very long time.

If, after purging old document history, you need to re-print or view a purged document, you will need to open one of your prior year companies to do so.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Mike C (16-Feb-17)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Neville, will try that. I usually do that at year end, but I see some docs go back to 2013. Still, seems surprising that it needs to recall all that information just for a zoom function.

Thanks
    If, after purging old document history, you need to re-print or view a purged document, you will need to open one of your prior year companies to do so.
    Hi Neville, does the backup keep everything? In other words, if I make a backup ... delete the history and files ... and then restore the backup would all the history and documents be replaced?
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Hi Neville, does the backup keep everything? In other words, if I make a backup ... delete the history and files ... and then restore the backup would all the history and documents be replaced?
    Correct.

Everything relating to the company database resides in the company folder, and the Pastel backup utility simply zips that folder into a file.

9. Thanks given for this post:

Mike C (20-Feb-17)