Thread: Unswitch sockets ok?

Silver Member
    Thanks

Unswitch sockets ok?

Just checking for someone.

Pop up sockets which has a European module (mobile phone charger type) and a normal 16 amp South African socket and no switch.

I can't see anywhere in the SANS book where there must be a switch.

I saw in an old thread that it used to be under 6.15.6.5. which didn't require it to have a switch but in the new amendment its been removed.

Thoughts....

Thanks
    Is the socket for a fixed appliance? When you say 'European module' do you mean a Schuko type socket outlet or USB outlet with a transformer/SMPS built into the socket maybe?

Sorry, lots of questions...also pop-up, do you mean those floor sockets/ socket you sometimes see in kitchen counters that open and close flush after use?

As far as I know, general purpose 16A socket outlets don't need to be switched. I have a vague recollection that if they're DC they might need to be switched so this could apply to a USB socket. If nobody else has the info to hand I'll have a look in the regs when I get a chance and come back with a quote.

Are you back in the UK by the way? Hopefully you're well, how's things going?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Is the socket for a fixed appliance? Nope. To demo small kitchen items - Blenders, kettle etc on a podium

When you say 'European module' do you mean a Schuko type socket outlet or USB outlet with a transformer/SMPS built into the socket maybe? Not the round ones. The ones like mobile phone chargers plug into. Not the USB thing.

Sorry, lots of questions...also pop-up, do you mean those floor sockets/ socket you sometimes see in kitchen counters that open and close flush after use? Yup. Only Legrand do a 4 module one as far as I can find but stock is a problem. Crabtree only do a 3 module, hence the need for to know about the switch thing. This thing would be teh ultimate solution but stock is problem and we need it NOW NOW.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-Module-Pop-Up-Floor-Angled-Lifestyle_grande.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	6600

As far as I know, general purpose 16A socket outlets don't need to be switched. I have a vague recollection that if they're DC they might need to be switched so this could apply to a USB socket. If nobody else has the info to hand I'll have a look in the regs when I get a chance and come back with a quote.

Are you back in the UK by the way? Hopefully you're well, how's things going?[/QUOTE]. Going there for Christmas a see where the job offer is at, there are a lot of options as there is a shortage of experienced electricians that side (I get a calls from old employers/clients every week). For now crazy busy this side but future prospects look better that side. I am lucky to be incredibly busy but just can't get decent help. If i let go of the reins for a second there is problems and I'm fed up with that side of things. I am waiting for my permanent residency to come through. That will be the final thing. I have been here this long it would be good to get that, but if i get turned down then that will be enough for me. I'll be on the plane the next day no matter what. I don't have the energy to mess around with home affairs anymore. I just don't need this kak when I can go there a its much easier and less complicated.

Thanks
    Okay, here's a few suggestions. Have you got an ACDC catalogue?

Page 309; Pop up module.

Name:	u1.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	6601
    It accepts 22.5x45mm and 45x45mm modules so should accept Gewiss Chorus range of accessories as far as I know but check with the supplier first.

Also they have these options;

Name:	u2.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	6602
    They also accept the 45x45 modules like the Gewiss Chorus

There's also a 'wall mounted' housing that could be desk mounted if you can sacrifice it being pop-up.

Name:	u3.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	6603

Finally there's a Gewiss desktop mounted enclosure...again not pop-up however.

Name:	u4.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	6604

*edit*
    I forgot one;

Name:	u5.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	6605
    This one does your pop-up thing and it comes pre-assembled with modules etc but it's got more sockets on it than you wanted. The list price of the M103-SA is about a grand

Thanks
    If none of the above are suitable let me know and I'll trawl through a couple more catalogues for other options.

Thanks
    I see now they are being called "pop ups". Used to be docking stations. The same thing though. They are multiplugs which are plugged in somewhere under the countertop. They are not required to be switched.