Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outdoor socket standards

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I'm kinda playing devils advocate here, that thought also crossed my mind when I saw the photo, I'm not certain but I don't think that reg would apply retrospectively if the socket was installed before the date when safety shuttered sockets were required (assuming the circuit hasn't been upgraded since). Also the socket has a screw on weather-proof cover for when it's not in use so if it was a grey area and it all came down to a risk assessment it would just be a decision by a competant person on the day and I wouldn't hold it against any sparky who deemed it needing replacement.

As for the plug and the cable entry, if I remember correctly this particular type used to come with a gland that screwed into the back, I'm guessing it might be missing in this instant but it doesn't form part of the installation so it wouldn't affect the CoC.

The other thought I had was he might have failed it because he couldn't easily test the point because the plug is pretty unremovable and as Dave says time and cost wise it would be reasonable to replace.

If you really want to keep it then I'd suggest you speak to him and offer to clean it up to the point where it can be tested.
    Maybe I'm starting to think like you. ;-)

I removed the ring last night - took me a few minutes of gentle patience with a rather large monkey wrench to get it to move (read crack the paint that had effectively glued it shut). After that I could turn it loose by hand.

There is a normal (SA three round pin) socket in there. No shutters on the three pin holes as it is ancient. If anyone is curious about how any of it looks e.g. with the cover off and the plug out then I'd be more than willing to take another photo or two but I think the description is pretty through.

It should now be a piece of cake to plug in the testing unit that was used on every other plug on the property. For now the cover is screwed on while I look at replacing the gland on the plug which had perished.

I must say the build quality on the thing is ridiculously good when compared to what is typically found on today's offerings. E.g. really solid brass pins on the plug, the fact that it survived the (albeit careful) application of a monkey wrench, etc.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi guys, just want to confirm something.

The South Africa plug types are C & M.

N is the new type just introduced.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Hi All

With regards to the regulations, IP rating comes into effect for outdoor equipment and earthleakage protection for socket outlets

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    Maybe I'm starting to think like you. ;-)

I removed the ring last night - took me a few minutes of gentle patience with a rather large monkey wrench to get it to move (read crack the paint that had effectively glued it shut). After that I could turn it loose by hand.

There is a normal (SA three round pin) socket in there. No shutters on the three pin holes as it is ancient. If anyone is curious about how any of it looks e.g. with the cover off and the plug out then I'd be more than willing to take another photo or two but I think the description is pretty through.

It should now be a piece of cake to plug in the testing unit that was used on every other plug on the property. For now the cover is screwed on while I look at replacing the gland on the plug which had perished.

I must say the build quality on the thing is ridiculously good when compared to what is typically found on today's offerings. E.g. really solid brass pins on the plug, the fact that it survived the (albeit careful) application of a monkey wrench, etc.

That socket probably don't have an earth wire. Steel conduit and 1976

Thanks
    That metal socket is of a aluminium type material. Back in the early 70' s we used it as an out door socket
    When you remove the plug top the cover screws on and never really sticks unless you tighten it with a
    Tool which is unnecessary. It can never rust! It has no shutters on the socket. If the plug top is plugged in
    It is not water proof, the plug top is exposed to the elements. There is no cover to protect the plug top if it rains etc.

Thanks
    Sorry guys ,there is a plug top that goes with the unit and it plugs in and it has cover that turns on and that makes it water proof. Most times the screw on plug top gets lost or goes with cable supplying the pump etc. Then people are inclined to use a normal plug top, and that's unsafe outside.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12